Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Other Ereaders Besides Major Brands

I was thinking of buying another ereader to try out and I was interested in getting opinions from people who have ereaders that aren't *major well known brands*. I'm not particulary interested in the Nook or Kindle. The Sony PRS650 is non existent and I already have a Kobo and I don't really want the new Kobo touch.

I like the look of some of the Aluratek Libre ereaders. Any opinions or recommendations?

This one looks alright.

http://aluratek.com/libre-ebook-reader-pro-black

Last edited by MorganM; 05-29-2011 at 03:03 AM.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Were I in the market for another ebook reader, this is the one I would be seriously looking at:

Boox M90

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
The Libre Pro is a great reader, and buy.com has it for $50 after rebate right now.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-30-2011 at 07:16 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone else have any other ereader suggestions?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone else have any other ereader suggestions?

Cybook OPUS..>Nice little reader.... not fancy...but good ergonomics and epub rendering is very good.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I really like the Cybook Bookeen Orizon which has a touch screen and the navigation ring is really smooth. Both can be seen at http://www.bookeen.com/en/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
A Pocketbook 360 Plus? I have no personal experience with it, but I was very strongly considering getting its predecessor, the Pocketbook 360, before I got my Sony Reader 350. The predecessor at least has had very enthusiastic user reviews and also seems to be lauded for allowing a deeply tweakable reader experience. I don't think the Plus is much different.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Those of us who have jetBook Lites are very happy with them. I don't know why other companies haven't gone the AA flashlight battery route.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Onyx Boox readers have had some very good reviews, and some of the Pocketbook readers seem quite nice as well. The Aluratek readers use a different screen technology than the Kobo, Kindle and Sony, and you might find that you like it, too; it seems to have very fast page turns, from what I've seen.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
since the one you linked is a 5'', then let me tell you about the Pocketbook 360, also 5''. I am deeply in love with it, it can be customised in a million ways, is superportable, and it comes with a very convenient snap on hard plastic lid - so no need for an additional cover. As standard you also get a wall charger, a USB cable to connect it to your laptop, and more importantly a two year guarantee.

The original model does only one thing, i.e. it is an e-reader (no radio, no TTS), but it does it very very well. In addition, depending on which part of the world you are the new Pocketbook Plus has also wireless connection.

The ways you can customise it are so plentyful that it may be easiest for you to have a look at the review:
- for the original model
- for the new "Plus" model.

The Plus is currently on sale at $113, which is a steal - this is for Canada, US and Mexico only, but apparently they can be sent anywhere in the world by using the services companies like those in this message.

The user interface can be changed by installing one of the many themes: I simply love "Sheeps", but in the link above there are many more.

In addition to the standard reading software there are various other ports: Coolreader, a hacked version of Adobeviewer (so that CSS settings are preserved), and various well made applications like (chess, plus many more available here).

Sorry, but I cannot help being enthusiastic about it -at any rate, once you get a few brands in this post, if I were you I would go ask directly in the various dedicated forums, so you can get more views and perspectives.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
since the one you linked is a 5'', then let me tell you about the Pocketbook 360, also 5''. I am deeply in love with it, it can be customised in a million ways, is superportable, and it comes with a very convenient snap on hard plastic lid - so no need for an additional cover. As standard you also get a wall charger, a USB cable to connect it to your laptop, and more importantly a two year guarantee.

The original model does only one thing, i.e. it is an e-reader (no radio, no TTS), but it does it very very well. In addition, depending on which part of the world you are the new Pocketbook Plus has also wireless connection.

The ways you can customise it are so plentyful that it may be easiest for you to have a look at the review:
- for the original model
- for the new "Plus" model.

The Plus is currently on sale at $113, which is a steal - this is for Canada, US and Mexico only, but apparently they can be sent anywhere in the world by using the services companies like those in this message.

The user interface can be changed by installing one of the many themes: I simply love "Sheeps", but in the link above there are many more.

In addition to the standard reading software there are various other ports: Coolreader, a hacked version of Adobeviewer (so that CSS settings are preserved), and various well made applications like (chess, plus many more available here).

Sorry, but I cannot help being enthusiastic about it -at any rate, once you get a few brands in this post, if I were you I would go ask directly in the various dedicated forums, so you can get more views and perspectives.
The Sheep are very cute, I quite like them. The Pocketbook 360 has always seemed like a really neat reader to me, and I've always wanted the chance to check one out. I'm glad that you are enjoying yours so much.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
MorganM
Fanatic

The pocketbook 360 looks really good but I dunno if I could trust one of those sites that give you an American addy. I did find a Aluratek Libre Pro for $130 on the Australian ebay.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
The Sheep are very cute, I quite like them. The Pocketbook 360 has always seemed like a really neat reader to me, and I've always wanted the chance to check one out. I'm glad that you are enjoying yours so much.
for the price I got it for (£99 - not bad at all for Europe) i just had to have it - and I forgot the most important "hack", fbreader180, which allows you to turn pages just by flicking your wrist

/but I know I am overenthusiastic about it, which is why I wrote to check out for more views.

@MorganM: I haven't tried those sites myself, so I do not know how reliable they are. As for the Pocketbook in Australia, the "standard" is on ebay at $130, the "plus" (i.e. wireless" goes for $159:
http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_...All-Categories

Having said that, the aluratek does look nice (with MP3 and an external card), but if I were you I would check out the forum before taking the plunge (there are useful posts of Aluratek pro owners such as this one for example).

EDIT: sorry, seen you've done that already

Last edited by paola; 05-31-2011 at 04:14 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #14
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The Elonex ebook is a simple, but quite okay reader (we bought two for our library) http://www.elonex.com/index.php/cata...esult/?q=ebook and they're selling demo ex. for only £59
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #15
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I am very happy with my eco eclipse, it's available in Oz from Booku in Adelaide. I also liked my eco reader, the larger version, which I gave to my mother. They are both Hanlin clones. A basic ereader, no wi fi, but does play mp3 files.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote