Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
New Kindle as low as $79! (Edit: Special Offers)

Amazon introduced new Kindle readers today. The entry point is now an astonishingly low $79!

(Edit) The $79 is for the Kindle with Special Offers. Without the Special Offers will cost you $109.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	77070  

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 09-28-2011 at 11:18 AM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does the "most advanced eink display" refer to their pearl thing or is it something new new?

Can't find specs anywhere yet. I guess we'll find out.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure, but I would imagine that it is most likely the Pearl screen. I haven't really heard of any e-ink advances.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
new kindle ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMULBXflsWc
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast
fr0stbit3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen Basic
There is an advanced color eInk technology. But this doesn't seem to be using color. So I figure its still pearl. Maybe a little tweaked.

But 79$ is just spectacularly low!
fr0stbit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

also seems to show ads on the standby screen. guess its like the Nook Touch recommended books section
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast

^ There is probably a workaround for that!

Man! The guys at B&N must feel so sad!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
OMG! I'm so excited!! Amazon is gonna shake up the eReader market!! $99 & $79!!! LoL those are Big Lot prices!! I may get one of each!!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
fr0stbit3
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
OMG! I'm so excited!! Amazon is gonna shake up the eReader market!! $99 & $79!!! LoL those are Big Lot prices!! I may get one of each!!
I have my eyes on the B&N website. They're bound to bring out a special offer or something.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Ok, just checked the Amazon website. The Kindle is $79 with Special Offers; and $109 without. Still good prices, but I'm not as excited as I was. It is available now. The others are on pre-order to be "released" on November 21.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
electristan
newbie reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0stbit3 View Post
^ There is probably a workaround for that!
always is
Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Its up for order but theres seems to be no specific specs ? That seems so odd to me I would never buy on blind faith like that
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Its up for order but theres seems to be no specific specs ? That seems so odd to me I would never buy on blind faith like that
They're providing the same amount of specs that they've always provided for Kindle devices.

They don't list anything too technical.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
Nice to see the concept of Treasure Island is alive and well. $79 in the US, £89 in the UK (along with a 2 week wait). Forget the old idea of just replacing a $ with a £, this goes one better and ups the price.

For reference, $79 + UK VAT would be £60.54

Edit: Although I guess the UK one as listed doesn't have the ads, so the equivalent price would be £83, in which case we are only getting slightly shafted.

Last edited by SpeckledJim; 09-28-2011 at 11:49 AM.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
Nice to see the concept of Treasure Island is alive and well. $79 in the US, £89 in the UK (along with a 2 week wait). Forget the old idea of just replacing a $ with a £, this goes one better and ups the price.

For reference, $79 + UK VAT would be £60.54
It's not $79 because that's for the "Special Offers" Kindle (ad supported version).

The regular "new" Kindle (without the ads) is $109 which is just over £83 including VAT, resulting in a pretty reasonable price given how we usually get shafted.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote