Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Font file for missing glyphs

I have an epub which has a few foreign (Japanese) names which have a single character which is not in the font on the reader (Sony PRS-650). Can I put a font file in the epub with a single glyph for that character? Where could I go to create such a font file? Font Editor?

Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW the character is ō

--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
FontForge
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I would not use an embedded font for a single character that should match the rest of the text. If it were the case of a Japanese character, then it's OK, because the Latin script and the Japanese characters are different anyway. But in this case it is a Latin character that will be used together with other characters in a potentially different font (even if you try to match the default font in your reader, it will not be the same font in other devices, particular in those that allow the user to choose a different font).

So, in this case I would probably use a single embedded font (one that includes the "ō" character) for the whole book. It would be easy to remove if someone is using a device that can display the "ō" without embedded fonts, and it wouldn't add unnecessary markup.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Another choice would be to build a small image and use that image when needed. Images will scale when zooming, although a bitmap may start to get blocky at higher zooms.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Thanks for the replies.

@Jellby, this is for my personal use. I will not be giving to anyone else so if I can match the characters closely that is good enough and I will be doing the markup myself. Also I'm not sure where to find a font to embed that will have that character.

@charleski Can FontForge insert characters into a font file or will I need to edit a font file and create the character?
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert