Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
hank0113
hank0113 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Sending Chinese webpages to e-ink

I just got my new Pocket Edge last week!

I enjoyed playing with my PE a lot these days. However, while I can do most tasks I want with it, there are some problems with Chinese epubs.

The main reason I purchased this one is because I want to be able to send webpages to the eink screen and do annotations, this all works fine with English ones. But when I send Chinese webpages as epubs, all the Chinese characters are displayed as "???????????".

I have searched for solutions and found an app called "epubeDGe" from this thread Chinese on e-ink screen. All this app does is unzipping the epub, changing the language tag from "en" to "zh-CN" or "zh-TW", and finally zip it back to epub. This is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the link to the apk file is dead.

Is there anyone still got a copy of this app? Or can anyone point me out a better solution, please?
hank0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
You do understand the app you are looking for only works on epub books and not on single web page transfers, don't you.

Exactly how you would go about changing the font used by the browser when it transfers web pages to the e-ink side I'm not sure - maybe one of the programmers that read this might have some idea about getting to that level of settings rather than simplified set available for general consumption.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
I have no trouble to send Chinese webpage to Eink and everything display just fine. Maybe the webpage you are trying to send is encoded differently? Try different websites and come back telling us the results.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
hank0113
hank0113 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
I have no trouble to send Chinese webpage to Eink and everything display just fine. Maybe the webpage you are trying to send is encoded differently? Try different websites and come back telling us the results.
I figured out what my problem was. I have tried pages with different encodings, none of them displayed correctly. So I decided to upgrade my PE to ermine to see if there is anything different. Then I noticed in the e-ink reader there are new options which did not exist in dingo that would allow you to choose between different font types.

I found out only the "Droid Fallback font" would display correctly. Problem solved!!

Thank you for your reply anyway.
hank0113 is offline   Reply With Quote