Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Question Some 3G USB modems do work with the eDGe?

(retracted)

Last edited by borisb; 08-15-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
vicinc
Edge User

check this for your local private wifi network out of a sim card. 3 g usb modem is not needed really

Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
vicinc
Edge User

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...i-huawei-e5830

Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
GEORGELYK
Edge User

Is it possible to connect to the internet via usb,or only wi-fi?I ask this because there is an adaptor that you can use to connect via ethernet.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
GEORGELYK
Edge User

Do you need the adapter,or you can connect via usb?

Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
anapurma
Edge User

As I remember edge technology was called "telephony of 2.5 generation". So 3g usb modem should not be needed indeed.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
vicinc
Edge User

is there any modem slot inside of edge? did anybody open up an edge and posted a picture?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
vicinc
Edge User

my model is saying edge 2.0?! does anybody has and edge 1.0?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
kenjennings
Edge User

I THINK the working model demonstrated in this video is Model 1.0. (The unit she's holding at the start of the video is the early production case for model 2.0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MzLx0HJPlI

Old 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
UxorPrometheus
Edge User

I am an interested buyer, but first...I'd like to know some technical specifics regarding the wireless part of the edge.

first, do I need a wireless plan with verizon, att, sprint, or someone else in the united states to download documents and books wirelessly/

second, what are the specific wireless download requirements for internet pdf and word documents that are available on government websites for free?

third, are there any security measures for downloading documents attached to emails, if I read the emails on the edge.

fourth, is there an ability to add a password to an edge to prevent unintended disclosures of the information stored on the device if I perchance, lose it.

fifth, can I attach the edge to a cell phone and download documents wirelessly that way?

sixth, is there an edge "store" like the "sony store" or "apple store" or "amazon/kindle store" or the "barnes amd noble/nook store" that I am restricted to buying books from or can I recieve or buy books from anywhere that provides them?

seventh, do I need to have a licensed version of Word running on my Edge, in order to do text editing.

eighth, can I install my microsoft outlook calendar on my edge and sync it with my laptop or do I need to use an android or some other operating system to keep my calendar?

I presently carry a laptop, with a broadband card that provides a monthly subscription based access to verizon's wireless network (which does not exist at broadband speed in springfield missouri--I just found out).

Your assistance with these questions will help me to decide between your device and the sony eReader (which I do not like being restricted to buying books from the Sony Store & I'm not happy about the lack of a true netbook with the sony eReader). Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #11
Gunnerp245
Edge User

I have a BB 8830 World Edition that I attempted to interface with the eDGe via blue tooth. First it is a work phone with some limitations...
I was able to pair it to the eDGe, but not connect. Meaning, the BB found the eDGe and the eDGe recognized the BB. But on the eDGe bluetooth menu when initiating 'connect' it did not.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #12
rrobertson
Edge User

I was poking around inside of the filesystem today and ran across something interesting. There is a file named "support_modem_list.conf" that lists three 3G USB modems. Not sure if this is a file that is for sure in use but I figured the more info the better for those looking to try to get this functionality. Here are the modems that are listed:

# Huawei E600
# ZTE MF626
# Novatel USB760

Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
walt526
Edge User

Interesting. I tried a Virgin Mobile USB 3G modem (which I believe is a Novatel MC760, aka USB760) and I couldn't get it to work (the Mifi 2200 works great, though).

Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
orochi
Edge User

this is what I wanna ask for either.

BTW: Anyone tried SIM card? it says future use Also on the official web they say we can not send EE back and get hardware upgrade. So the SIM card actully locked by software?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
kenjennings
Edge User

A phone SIM won't work. Rather than tooling two different cases (EXPENSIVE) for a model with and one without a SIM slot, they just made one case. But, the internal hardware we have does not support a SIM. A future model will.