Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
Do you still read the hard versions?

Hi folks,

I was just wondering if you people have still been buying hard versions of books? Do you miss the hard version?

I have a small private collection of books. I proudly display them in my living room. Of late, however, I have stopped adding to this collection, because of the obvious reasons.

I was wondering what other people in the forum have been doing!
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I don't read paper anymore for entertainment if I can possibly get around it, which means I don't read nonfic paper.

I still get reference books and research books in paper; ereaders aren't really up to academic or reference uses yet.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Still buy paper... lots of stuff not available or totally unsuitable for eReaders...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I like to read the easy versions. With big text and shiny pictures and Spark-ly Notes!

But seriously, I do still buy a lot of paper books. Plenty of stuff isn't available as or doesn't translate well to e-editions, especially certain forms of non-fiction. And I'm a sucker for deluxe collector's edition art books.

However, I've never been one for buying much in the way of non-specialty fiction* in paper form (if the library has it, I probably don't need it) so it's not like I'm breaking an easy-to-replace collection habit there to begin with.

And I'll cheerfully read interesting books in any format they come in which I can lay my hands upon.

* I do have a moderately extensive set of out-of-print sf/fantasy paper copies, many of which neither the library nor the e-bookstore have.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And that is the real point... it's the reading that counts and I'll also read whatever is available when I have nothing else to do... even been known to read the notices in the doctor's waiting room if nothing else around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
And I'll cheerfully read interesting books in any format they come in which I can lay my hands upon.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi folks,

I was just wondering if you people have still been buying hard versions of books? Do you miss the hard version?

I have a small private collection of books. I proudly display them in my living room. Of late, however, I have stopped adding to this collection, because of the obvious reasons.

I was wondering what other people in the forum have been doing!
For continuing series where I love the author and have them all in hardback, I've been continuing to buy hardcover. I also buy hardcopy books when the ebook is much more expensive or unavailable.

I still check out hardcopy books from the library too.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
trying to change the font size when my eyes get tired on pBooks is such a pain!
seriously, I find if I can avoid it I don't read paper anymore....
still a few magazines etc I read though...
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I don't read paper anymore for entertainment if I can possibly get around it, which means I don't read nonfic paper.
+1

My eyes prefer the larger font available on my Kindle. Also, since I read several books a week, the easy availability of ebooks is a big plus. I used to end up having to reread a lot of books I already owned (more often that I do now), because I can't not read something! Now, I have easy access to a wide variety of books with the click of a mouse.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
I still buy a lot of paper books. Actually cut back on my ebook buys as I have a ton of stuff to read and I made my own bookscanner so I am scanning my physical collection. That and given I can get paper books a lot cheaper than ebooks at the moment, I've kind of switched back to buying real books. I still only read on the ereader though.

Even more interesting is my Amazon buys have dropped way off since most of their mass market paperbacks now go for full SRP, I can get them cheaper at physical bookstores so my buys there are going up.

I know, I'm probably the odd man out here.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
If there is more than one version of a book I buy whichever is cheapest. Makes no difference to me, but I do miss the clock when I read a real book. I ran out of shelves long ago, so they just go in a box when I've finished them now.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Yes I do, especially if I like the book to the point that I want it to be a permanent, physical part of my collection. I recently read an ebook, then purchased the sequel in hardcover because it was nicely done, with cool cover art and little illustrations randomly placed in page corners. Bought the original in hardcover too because I wanted to own it, and re-read it in that form.

Recently someone loaned me a trade paperback of a book I wanted to read. I wasn't impressed with the print quality, so I bought it in ebook form for the bolder text/font size options. The ebook was worth more to me than a free paper one, which I suppose speaks to the issue of value vs. price.

Incidentally, a mass-market pb is worth less to me than a stick of gum. I'll pay more for an ebook any day.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Yes. I still buy a lot of paper books. Mostly things like graphic novels and kids books. And, if there's a new zombie book that looks interesting, and I can catch it on good sale on Amazon, or something.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I still buy cookbooks in paper.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I by classics in paper though many can be had for free in e-format. I like to be able to have them to hold and read now and again at whim. I also bought the Harry Potter books both in audio, first on tapes, then DVDs and again in paper. They are probably my favorite books of this century. Any book I liked well enough to want to browse again, or continue to read the rest of the series, I like to have in paper. Strange as I prefer reading on my Kindle3.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
For continuing series where I love the author and have them all in hardback, I've been continuing to buy hardcover. I also buy hardcopy books when the ebook is much more expensive or unavailable.
What Joy said, except in my case its paperback.
Right now, there are only four series that are purchased in paper:

Southern Vampire (or Sookie Stackhouse)
Black Dagger Brotherhood
Rachel Morgan
and
Honor Harrington (which is the only one purchased in hardcover instead of paperback)

We also bought all of the Harry Potter books in hardcover.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote