Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
NY Times publicizes HC's library limits

The controversy over new lending limits finally hits the mainstream media. Today's New York Times includes an article about the brouhaha touched off when HarperCollins implemented its new policy limiting the number of times an e-book can be checked out.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It will be interesting to see if other publishers adopt some kind of limit. With libraries financially struggling, doesn't look like a good PR move for publishers.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
FYI, they've run a couple of articles on this already.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
FYI, they've run a couple of articles on this already.
Only in blogs, as far as I know. This story was in the print edition--on the front page, in fact.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I can kind of understand the publishers here... but 26 is far too few, it should be about 100. But the publishers are also wrong on saying ebooks near wear out, that's not true.. the format becomes obsolete. Look at the libraries that got into ebooks early, they have large stock of .mobi format books that cost them money and less and less people want. Some are slowly replacing these with new epub books (which they have to pay for again). What will happen when the next cool format hits the main stream?
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
It will be interesting to see if other publishers adopt some kind of limit. With libraries financially struggling, doesn't look like a good PR move for publishers.
L.J.
Libraries need to change with the times to remain afloat. A couple of things they can do: 1) shut down smaller branches and concentrate resources on larger area libraries; 2) form consortia with other library systems for digital purchases.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
I can kind of understand the publishers here... but 26 is far too few, it should be about 100. But the publishers are also wrong on saying ebooks near wear out, that's not true.. the format becomes obsolete. Look at the libraries that got into ebooks early, they have large stock of .mobi format books that cost them money and less and less people want. Some are slowly replacing these with new epub books (which they have to pay for again). What will happen when the next cool format hits the main stream?
I thought most libraries offered epub to begin with, not mobi, and library access was one of the non-Kindle device selling points. How are less and less people wanting the format used by the currently dominant device?
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I thought most libraries offered epub to begin with, not mobi, and library access was one of the non-Kindle device selling points. How are less and less people wanting the format used by the currently dominant device?
It used to be Mobi and PDF (before ePub was even available) and some of the libraries to use Overdrive in the 'early days' bought lots of Mobi books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

I don't believe the mobi formatted books these libraries offer will work on kindle devices, they are for mobipocket reading software... But I could be wrong here, as I'm not a kindle user. I just know one of the libraries I use have over a 1000 mobi books (all the new ones each week are epub) and it's rare to see a mobi book checked out....
Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
I don't believe the mobi formatted books these libraries offer will work on kindle devices, they are for mobipocket reading software... But I could be wrong here, as I'm not a kindle user. I just know one of the libraries I use have over a 1000 mobi books (all the new ones each week are epub) and it's rare to see a mobi book checked out....
I really don't know the in's and out's of the downloadable mobi format offered by libraries. But the other day I found a few books in mobi format at my library (newer books, I think). When I went to check them out, the library needed my PID. I had gone through some software a bit ago to find/create a pid for my kindle. I had come up with two different ones that were very close - last 3 characters were different. First did not work. Second did. The book downloaded to my download folder - no special reader software. I was able to open it in Calibre. And I was able to open it on my k3 after copying it directly to the k3 from my download folder (in other words, I did not convert it in Calibre).

But as I opened - I have no idea what's what with the mobi format my library uses but it opened on my k3 fine.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
iandix
Addict

you might be right, I decided to have a bit of a read, it does not mention Kindle by name, but I downloaded the mobi software and just like Adobe Digital Editions you can link a device to it .

again it does not name the kindle device ,, but it asks for a PID, so I guess if you know the PID of your kindle then you should be able to download books from those libraries to your kindle without any problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	68383