Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
darthreader13
darthreader13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Free vs paid ebooks

Hello, I am new to this forum. I noticed that there are some ebooks that are free, which also have a paid version. Is there a difference in these? I got a free book and noticed that I can not go to the table of context when I want. Can you reach the table of context at any time in a purchased book?

Thank you.
darthreader13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthreader13 View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum. I noticed that there are some ebooks that are free, which also have a paid version. Is there a difference in these? I got a free book and noticed that I can not go to the table of context when I want. Can you reach the table of context at any time in a purchased book?

Thank you.
(Very) Generally speaking, you'll find that more paid e-books have tables of contents than free ones. One of the things you ought to expect, in general, when you're paying for an e-book is that the formatting is decent. But as I said, that's a general rule. There are certainly free e-books with linked tables of contents.

One thing you should look for is whether or not the e-book is out of copyright in the U.S. Check Project Gutenberg (www.gutenberg.org). If you can find the e-book there, then I would venture to guess that the free copy you find on Amazon might be a Gutenberg text which was simply converted to MOBI/AZW format. Project Gutenberg texts generally aren't formatted specifically for the Kindle, so the table of contents probably won't be linked.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi and welcome to mobileread

I assume you're talking about the freebie classic books at Amazon?

You will find much nicer quality free classics right here at mobileread (link at top of website to ebooks) or at places like manybooks.net and feedbooks.com. You need the mobi version

I can't promise they will have a Table of Contents because some books do and some don't - free or not. But generally speaking the freebie classics on Amaon are not a nicely formatted as some other sites.

Happy reading
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Basically Amazon lets anyone upload books to the store.

So what people have done is essentially spam the store will all sorts of different versions of Public Domain books.

Unfortunately, apparently this is viewed as some sort of get rich scheme, taking PD books, formatting them (or not) and trying to sell them on Amazon.

In either case, there may be nicely formatted books on Amazon, but because of this spam problem (and how they don't really group reviews separately) they are almost impossible to find.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
QUOTE=JeremyR;1325873]Basically Amazon lets anyone upload books to the store.
So what people have done is essentially spam the store will all sorts of different versions of Public Domain books.
Unfortunately, apparently this is viewed as some sort of get rich scheme, taking PD books, formatting them (or not) and trying to sell them on Amazon.
In either case, there may be nicely formatted books on Amazon, but because of this spam problem (and how they don't really group reviews separately) they are almost impossible to find.[/QUOTE]

I had some bad experiences with the Public Domain books on Amazon; they got stuck in my ereader. Also they're not all free.
I would advise everyone to download the perfectly formatted free classic books of MR. It's very easy to get the catalogue on the Kindle and one can pick and choose.
Feedbooks and Manybooks also do a decent job formatting.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92311
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Darth. As has been said, there's a pretty wide range of classics and Public Domains at the free MobileRead Library -- and they're all beautifully prepared and uploaded by generous members. The choice of free books at Project Gutenberg is much greater, but often format and proofing leaves a lot to be desired. There are also hundreds of free contemporasry books at Smashwords.com. They don't carry DRM, so they're easily converted to Mobi format for your Kindle using library software like the free (or voluntarily donate) Calibre. Fine library software that many of us here swear by and use exclusively. Good luck and besdt wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
darthreader13
darthreader13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hello everybody, thank you for all the information and for such a nice welcome! I absolutely love my kindle and plan on spending a bit of time here getting more familiar with it!
darthreader13 is offline   Reply With Quote