Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Bored with rooted NC. Suggestions?

I bought a NC and rooted it, mostly to try android and see what all the tablet fuss is about. But I'm having trouble finding enough use for a tablet to justify the cost. (I already have a kindle, an iphone and a laptop.) I'm thinking about returning it or selling the NC.
  • Reading books: I prefer my kindle. (I knew this before I bought the NC. It wasn't bought for this.)
  • Reading magazines: I wanted to try this, but didn't like giving my credit card in advance and remembering to cancel before getting charged. I don't subscribe to any paper mags, though, so...
  • Reading comics: This is good with Perfect Viewer. But I wouldn't do it enough to justify a $250 reader.
  • Angry Birds: This plays well, but my interest is waning. I've got a bunch of free or cheap games on my iphone that I've never played...
  • Surfing: I usually have a laptop nearby and I haven't picked up the habit of using the tablet instead.
  • Travel: I would like to take something smaller than my laptop on trips, but a netbook might be a better match.
  • Video: I have RockPlayer and VPlayer installed. I should look closer at how it works as a video player for travel. Needing to convert videos would make that a non-starter, though.

What else should I try? What makes it worth $250 to you?
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I want an eReader with a 7 inch touch screen. The choices are limited today. It was either the Sony 950 for $299 or the NOOKcolor for $249. I did the eink thing so I knew what I was giving up when I made the purchase. The NOOKcolor is my dedicated eReader. So based on my preferences, it's worth the $250 without being rooted.

Whatever I did on my 4.3 inch phone, I do on the NOOKcolor now. I only use my phone for calls and as a camera/camcorder. I don't carry a laptop around like I used to. I don't have a netbook and never wanted one. The stuff that I would normally do on a laptop when I'm out and about (what a netbook would be used for) I do on the NOOKcolor.

I sync my calendar/tasks/contacts on the device with Microsoft Outlook and Google. I have the NY Times app instead of paying for a subscription. All of my podcasts and other various feeds are on it as well. I use the Instafetch app that syncs with my Instapaper account when I want to read web pages later.

If you don't see the value in the product then you definitely should return it. There's nothing wrong with trying something and deciding that it's not for you.

Last edited by SCION; 01-17-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo, grammar
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
The (Nook Color) development occuring over at the XDA community is fairly impressive. The simple fact that there is no limit to the expansion of the device is an important consideration.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Pretty much what SCION said. When I bought my NOOK it was to use as an e-reader. I don't have a Kindle and when investigating e-readers I wanted one compatible with Google Book purchases (so I could still support my local independent bookstore). I also use it for a number of things I used to use my phone for, though I do wish I could find an easy method of tethering it to my phone so I can use it for *most* of the things I use my phone for at work (which doesn't have decent WiFi).

I think if I weren't interested in a primary e-reader, and if I were someone like you who loved carrying around an iPhone and laptop it would be different.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
It sounds like you have a good handle on your needs; after your mind gets done ruminating, go with your gut.

I suspect that I, too, will likely be selling my NookColor sooner, rather than later. I bought it knowing this.

I have an android phone and a netbook (the macbook air 11 inch) in addition to a Kindle3 and a classic Nook. I bought it with gift money to try it out and see what I thought of it.

I'm currently mostly using it for surfing in bed and in the bathroom and occasionally when I go out to eat solo instead of bringing my macbook. However, it would totally be worth it to me to keep it if read-in-store worked on rooted Nooks, since that's why I love the Nook Classic. The Kindle3 is my preferred ereader, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
[*]Travel: I would like to take something smaller than my laptop on trips, but a netbook might be a better match.
Absolutely. 2 years ago I bought a Dell Mini 9 and loved that thing to death. When the iPad had come out, I rushed to the Apple store thinking for sure I would buy one. I stopped to play with them. Wow. Heavy to hold. Wait, how am I gonna use this while eating -- I'll get the screen all greasy. Wait, I'd have to buy a stand to use it at the table. Hrm, no way to upload my photos easily. (all of which I was currently doing with the $200 netbook with a keyboard protector). So no iPad for me. The Dell Mini was finally retired for the macbook air 11.6 inch at 6 times the price. A netbook is perfect for me, it's a great travel companion and I recommend them highly, from low end Dells to the high-end macbook air 11.

No way the NC could function as a netbook for me, and, I suspect, for you.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
kblair210
Enthusiast
kblair210 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I sync my calendar/tasks/contacts on the device with Microsoft Outlook and Google.
I'd love to know which app you're using for this. If I could sync my NC up with Outlook and Google like I do my iPhone, I'd be tickled.
kblair210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblair210 View Post
I'd love to know which app you're using for this. If I could sync my NC up with Outlook and Google like I do my iPhone, I'd be tickled.
There isn't one app that syncs with Outlook and Google, so I came up with a workaround.

CompanionLink ($35 after 14 day trial) installed on computer. DejaOffice (free) installed on NOOKcolor. DejaOffice (syncs to Outlook via CompanionLink) includes tasks, calendar, contacts, today, and notepad. The notepad syncs to Outlook notes. I also have Jorte (calendar) installed on my NOOKcolor that syncs to Google.

Here's my initial setup:

Sync Outlook with NOOKcolor (DejaOffice) via WiFi. Sync Outlook with Google. Install Jorte and sync with Google.

I use Jorte for its visual appeal and my homescreen calendar widget recognizes it. DejaOffice calendar doesn't sync with Google and my calendar widget doesn't recognize it. I input/edit my events in Jorte (auto-syncs with Google).

Once a week I'll update Outlook by syncing it with Google (calendar), then syncing it with my NOOKcolor (tasks, contacts, notes)

I attached some pics. The first one is my Pure Calendar widget that syncs with Jorte. The second one is my Jorte calendar widget. Tapping on it opens the Jorte app. Below the Jorte calendar widget are the DejaOffice tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-17-6.png
Views:	270
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	65034   Click image for larger version

Name:	11-01-17-7.png
Views:	258
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	65035  

Last edited by SCION; 01-18-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Well I think your the vest judge of what you need and should have to be convinced of anything.

But since you and I have similar situations I'll share mine.

I had no intention of getting the nook, I knew the reading experience on the nook going to be sub par in contrast to the kindle, I read a good deal in sunlight. I also knew the nook would not compare to a tablet device that was built for productivity.

Now after three weeks if owning the device both if my gut feelings hav been confirmed.

Am I going to keep my nook yes. Here is why
- Love the form factor and it is a beautiful device. I know this because if it was ugly my wife would have never bought it.
- Even more portable than the tab, thinner in length and thickness than the tab. But it is much heavier
- The best PDF reading experience period! Belive it or not a $5 app has made a $260 device one of the best readers on the market.
- The android community keeps on making the rooted experience even better. Once nookie becomes stable or cygogen (sp?) releases nook support the nook will be a full fledged tablet.

One thing i noticed is while i was happy with my smartphone, laptop, kindle, and desktop computer. And find that these devices do what they do better than the nook, I find myself using the nook the most because it is so convenient to use and so portable.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@scion thanks your always so informative, and you weren't even answering my question

Is the calendar a hit and miss? I was able to sync my tasks with todos but jorte did not sync. As a matter of fact it quite working.

Btw i use an app called gsync to sync my outlook to the Google cloud. It's only $14 and the Guy does a great job of updating his software. It's the only app that syncs docs, tasks, calendar, and email at that price point.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
- The best PDF reading experience period! Belive it or not a $5 app has made a $260 device one of the best readers on the market.
What are you using for pdf's? I'm debating on rooting and if I can get a better pdf experience it may be the tipping point for me. Thanks in advance.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
@scion thanks your always so informative, and you weren't even answering my question

Is the calendar a hit and miss? I was able to sync my tasks with todos but jorte did not sync. As a matter of fact it quite working.
Within Jorte make sure you selected Google Calendar as your calendar choice, not the app's calendar. Go into the soft menu of the app and select "Settings", then "Select Calendar". Then chose "Select Calendar" again.

You can set the interval for syncing within the app. Go into the soft menu of the app and select "Settings". Scroll down to "Task Setting", check the box for "Use Auto Sync" and "Choose Sync Interval" beneath that.

If it seems flaky the first time, just remove the Google calendar and then add it back. Go into the soft menu and select "Settings". Then choose "Select Calendar". Click on "Choose Calendars". Within the soft menu on that screen select "Remove Calendars". You can then choose "Add Calendars" to bring it back in.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Thanks SCION, I haven't tried to de-select and re-select my calendar yet, I'll try this at lunch.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
What are you using for pdf's? I'm debating on rooting and if I can get a better pdf experience it may be the tipping point for me. Thanks in advance.
I'm using Repligo Reader, ezPDF is also pretty good, but RepliGo stands head and shoulders above the rest.
There customer support hss always been exellent as well.

That was the tipping point for me, repligo just released 3.0 with annotations and a faster pdf rendering engine. now reading pdf on the nook is actually an awesome experience.

last week repligo was on sale for $2.50, but the regular price is $5. ezPDF is $1.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Quote:
I'm using Repligo Reader, ezPDF is also pretty good, but RepliGo stands head and shoulders above the rest.
How does the rewrap feature work?
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
=X=
Wizard

Yes the reflow works.

The reflow button is an eye icon placed on the top left of the screen, due to the nook screen corner issue it is hard to enable. It usually takes me three carefully placed taps to toggle it.

Here are some screen shots. The turtle PDF gives fits to most refloe, even adobe. Repligo didn't get it 100% right sited but it's good enough.

<NOTE: The transparent buttons on the left of the screen shots are not from Repligo, they are from an app called "Button Savior" --found in the Market. Autonook comes with softkeys which offers the same features. However they are needed to access the menu options of Repligo and many other android apps.>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_6457574.png
Views:	231
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	65097   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_73557575.png
Views:	236
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	65098   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_72757577.png
Views:	262