Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Desktop shortcut to folder?

Is there a way to create a shortcut on the desktop (home screen) to a folder on the SDcard? When I click and hold the desktop (with ADW Launcher), there is an option for "Folders," but when selected, does nothing.

I was hoping to create a folder shortcut to my videos directory ...
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Yes....I just created a desktop shortcut to my music folder on my card....press and hold, then use widget (desktop visualizer), then I used Astro to select the music folder....placed it on 1 of the 5 adw desktops

ETA.......I can't seem to get the folder option to do anything either though......but it worked with the method listed above

Last edited by The Joker; 12-31-2010 at 03:45 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

TJ, I'm afraid I don't really follow what you're saying there, but looking at your method, this presents a challenge. There is no file browser built into Android, such as Windows Explorer, so to carry this out, two things have to happen:

1) have an app that can create a shortcut on the desktop to a file browser app
2) have a file browser app (Root explorer, Astro, etc.) that can launch to a folder

So the question is, how would one go about creating two shortcuts on the desktop, one that launches a window to the "videos" folder, and one that launches a window to the "music" folder (for example)? It would seem to me that once you setup Astro (or any other file browser) to launch to a specific folder, that any shortcut that launches Astro would launch to *only* that one folder.

If you could elaborate a bit on your instructions please ...
Old 12-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Have you grabbed desktop visualizer from the market....You need this app...,
Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

I did ... yes.

I am, however, using Root Explorer rather than Astro.
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
The Joker
Addict

Astro comes up as an option when you are at the select activity portion......thenn u can use astro to navigate to the card folder.......I probably need to get on the computer to explain in more detail....
Old 12-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

I think I understand, now. So you have Astro's default folder set for the "music" directory.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Get a free app called Folder Organizer from Market. You can assign categories to apps and place a folder on the desktop. Haven't tried it for music though. What with everything else, I haven't found time to put music on my NC. (But seeing as I went off on a trip and forgot both of my iPods at home, I might be forced to grab my music from my phone and transfer it to my NC.)

Edit: Just tried to make a folder for videos but it didn't work. Not sure if it would with the paid version. BBut I've been making folders for apps and for that it works. Will think about buying the app.

For videos, I got Act 1 Video Player and you can put that on the desktop and it'll open a list of vidoes.

Not sure about music.

Last edited by NoName; 12-31-2010 at 02:27 PM.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
You can assign categories to apps and place a folder on the desktop...
This would be the equivalent of having a discrete desktop for certain apps? I'm using 7 desktops now which I like. Perhaps others would prefer a more streamlined approach.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
The Joker
Addict

Ok...,although my method worked....I do see a flaw......if I use astro for something else, navigate to a different folder....it seems to remember that location when I click the desktop'd music folder......another example, I did the same for my library book folder (created desktop shortcut)

I guess if I never used astro to navigate anywhere else it would work.......

And here I thought I provided my first valid tip
Old 12-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
At least you came back and shared your discovery. You could have tried to sweep it under the rug, in hopes that Krypto wouldn't call you on it. Still worthy of kudos and karma.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Actually, I think The Joker is on the right track. You need both desktop visualizer and Astro.

Do this:

1. Launch Desktop visualizer
2. Select Action
3. THIS IS THE 1st IMPORTANT PART: select Other
4. Select ASTRO
5. Browse to where the folder you want is listed
6. THIS IS THE 2nd IMPORTANT Part: tap the folder and immediately hit the OK button before it disappears (if you miss it, go Up, then do it again)
7. You should get a popup asking to set a shortcut name -- enter what you like and hit OK
8. Back at the main Desktop Visualizer screen, hit OK
9. Select your Target if prompted

You should now have a folder on your desktop that will open ASTRO to a specific folder. I put two on my desktop to different folders to test it out. They each open different directories.

Is this what was wanted?
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

First of all, thank you Joker for getting the ball rolling and finding a tool that can achieve this. Secondly, thanks Zartemis for the instructions and little tweaks to take it a bit further.

After (re)installing Astro and Desktop Visualizer, I ran through Zartemis' instructions, launching Desktop Visualizer in step 1. from the app drawer, but no shortcut appeared on the desktop.

I ended up adding a widget to the desktop, a "Desktop Visualizer(1x1 Small SS)" widget, and then launched from step one using that widget (which basically looks like an icon).

I then did the same again, with a second widget/icon, and it, too opens Astro to the correct folder.

It works!

Thank you!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

I should probably note that I'm using ADW Launcher with just a single home screen.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
The Joker
Addict

Yeah....that's what I did....just didn't type it all out.....I'm still getting used to typing on the NC.....

I still think there is a flaw....For example
I created 2 seperate folders (i.e. "Music" on my SD card and "library books" on my Media)
Created shortcut folders on desktop as listed above
1) When I click on the Music shortcut it takes me there (thru Astro)
2) Go back to home
3) click on the Library Book shortcut, it takes me there (thru Astro)
4) All is good, right....nope
5) Go back home
6) click on the Music shortcut, it takes me to the library books folder thru Astro....

I think there is still a flaw...

ETA....I know I don't need a music folder anyways, since I can create a shortcut to the music app, I was just using that as a test case....