Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Smile ebookwise to tide me over while waiting for my Kindle?

Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I'm relatively new to ebooks - in the past I've downloaded books to my PC in Microsoft Reader format.
My hubby ordered me a Kindle for Christmas - I'm very frustrated with the wait and I've been surfing lots of sites. I ran across fictionwise.com and the sister site ebookwise. Lots of selection on these sites.
The ebookwise reader is currently selling for $99 with a memory card included.
I'd love to have a Sony PRS-505, but I can't see spending $300 for that and then another $400 for the Kindle. OMG - for that much money, I could have an Iliad!
My questions:
Would the ebookwise device keep me entertained until my Kindle arrives? What about afterwards....would I still use this device when I'm finally getting my instant gratification from using the Kindle?
Should I just continue to download ebooks to my PC - boring, boring, boring...
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello eBookNerd, people love the ebookwise, we have a Kindle on order as well but I'm considering a ebookwise too. I like to read in the dark sometimes and the backlight would come in handy, also when the Mrs was hogging the Kindle.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum eBookNerd. I waited several months for my 505 and, in the meantime made do with my laptop and iPaq. Using those has really made me appreciate the Sony and eInk
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
plauro
plauro began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
im waiting for my kindle.but i saw the ebookwise and for 99 it was a steal i have sm cards for more storage,when i got it i could not believe how easy it was to use setup and download books,its so great including fliping the screen to make it right or left user friendly.i wanted it so i could lets say leave 1 at work or on trips the kindle being more money wont be at risk ill keep it home.but the ebookwise also has lit screen always good at night the kindle wont be used for bedtime reading ,so id get one they deserve a place in anyones gadget collection,plus a spare ebook is always nice...
plauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I think you may like the EB-1150 more than you think. There are some on these boards who look down their noses at non-E-Ink readers and refuse to upload books in the imp format but don't pay attention to them. A great advantage to the EB-1150 is its far greater ruggedness compared to the delicate E-Ink readers, so for instance you can put in your carry-on bag along with the rest of your stuff and not worry about a thin piece of glass breaking.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I bought one a month or two ago, ostensibly to "tide me over" until I decided upon which e-ink device to use, and I'm delighted with it. I'm now not in a hurry to buy an e-ink device (I will though, eventually) -- I can take this to school to read on my lunch break and not worry about it getting broken -- it's quite sturdy. I bought it mostly to read mysteries, and so far, I've got a whole list of them I'm working through. I like the EB1150.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
derek.millard@te
derek.millard@te began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Smile Derek Millard

Greetings to you all and a happy and prosperous New Year. As a complete novice I am probing the mysteries of e-books. I was bought a PRS-505 by my daughter when she visited Texas recently and am enthralled by the prospects before me. I'll keep in touch. Derek.
derek.millard@te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Thanks to all for the welcoming posts! I ordered the 1150 this morning with 2 day delivery - darn those folks at Amazon for making me so impatient.
Also, the $99 holiday special with free shipping is over.

~She who hesitates either pays more or ends up on the waiting list!
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
MsAnthrope
Enthusiast
MsAnthrope is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2, EB-1150
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
Thanks to all for the welcoming posts! I ordered the 1150 this morning with 2 day delivery - darn those folks at Amazon for making me so impatient.
Also, the $99 holiday special with free shipping is over.

~She who hesitates either pays more or ends up on the waiting list!
Grrr eBookNerd, please do not jump off a bridge, or I'm sure to to do that, as well!
I too have been impatiently awaiting my Kindle and looking at the ebookwise as a way to tide me over but I just couldn't justify buying it. Reading this thread has helped me to see that it's ok to give up this fight. 2 Day shipping for me as well. I can't WAIT!

I think I'll get good use out of both. The 1150 will definitely be good for road trips, camping, beach, etc.

Good luck and thanks for bringing up this subject.
MsAnthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #10
plauro
plauro began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise
Thumbs up love the ebookwise!!!

i added a card to store my favorite books on the ebookwise ill be honest i just got my kindle its okay but the eink,naaaa i like the ebookwise better the rubber edges are great for holding and its much more sturdy the backlite is fantastic for bedtime reading i love the bookshelf showing how much you have in the library,im surprised for an older unit it seems to be sidestepped,in news and blogs... i couldnt find a video on you tube? the eink is nice but for 400 the kindle seems fragile its nice dont get me wrong but i wouldnt pay 400 the only reason i got one was it was a xmas gift so for free yes its nice but i too got the ebookwise to tide me over while waiting for the kindle,i bring it to work and dont worry about hurting it i havent even starting reading with the kindle im enjoying the ebookwise to much,eventually ill get to the kindle i waited long enough for it it can wait for me a few weeks or so,if your debating getting the ebookwise do it you wont regret it.....love it!!!!
plauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm reading on a dinky little Palm Zire 31 while waiting for my Kindle. I think an ebookwise would do fine for you for a while.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote