Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
bionicJim
bionicJim began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
T1 clearanced at Best Buy

I was surprised to see a bright red "Clearance" sign on the PRS-T1 demo device at Best Buy today (in Seattle Area). I'm not sure if the stores act independently when it comes to stocking these devices. I'm extremely happy with my T1 so am disappointed to see that it may not be competing well against the Kindle and Nook. There's simply not that much differentiating these devices anymore besides ecosystem.

Anyone have any more information on what a "Clearance" at Best Buy could mean? BTW, the price was still $99 - so it wasn't much of a motivator.
bionicJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicJim View Post
Anyone have any more information on what a "Clearance" at Best Buy could mean? BTW, the price was still $99 - so it wasn't much of a motivator.
It is supposed to have a lower price... but there is no need to argue:
See the way Best Buy defines "Clearance items" in the grey text just below the photo here

Quote:
Items are available in stores only.
Open-box items are products that have been removed from their packaging as they may be display units or returned items.
Clearance items are products that are brand new, never opened, factory-sealed products that are available at a reduced price.

Last edited by j0534ng31; 03-07-2012 at 05:11 AM.
j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
That's the price I am waiting for. Still $129 on the Best Buy web site. I don't know when I'll be back to the city to go to the store. Must be patient...

You can't side load CoolReader without rooting, can you? I know, wrong thread for the Q.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
[QUOTE=bionicJim;..................There's simply not that much differentiating these devices anymore besides ecosystem...................[QUOTE]

I take it you refer to the Sony softjunk/ware....... ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
To us here in the UK that price is amazing......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Not much of a clearance price. The t1 has been onsale for $89.99 a couple months back.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Not much of a clearance price. The t1 has been onsale for $89.99 a couple months back.
The sale price was $99.99 (or was it just $99).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I remember one site had it at $89.99. I could be wrong.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:

EDIT: Found the thread.https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160275

It was indeed onsale at one point for $89.99.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post

EDIT: Found the thread.https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160275

It was indeed onsale at one point for $89.99.
That was during December. The Valentines sale was not $89.99.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
shobi
shobi began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Local Best Buy here has been bouncing the price between 129 and 99 for the last 3 months. Usually it said 'sale' now the tag says 'clearance'
shobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
That was during December. The Valentines sale was not $89.99.
Yeah I know. Thats what I meant by a couple months back.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
immutability
immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
To us here in the UK that price is amazing......
I guess it is amazing for anyone in Europe I paid an equivalent of $260 for it...
immutability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
So Best Buy is having clearance on Sony Reader again? Last time they had a clearance on the PRS series it sparked a lot of talk about whether Sony is ditching the ereader market or not.

So why is Best Buy having a clearance? Sony exiting the market? Coming out with a new reader?
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #15
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Maybe they just ran out of "sale" signs.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote