Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #1
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Converted eBooks

I have only been editing ebooks for a year or so, to clean up my library, and am self taught. I am really only familiar with epub. I don't know the inner structure and workings of other formats like mobi or kfz (which calibre does not edit. why?), and when I once edited in AZW3, it was the same as editing an epub as I could not see any difference.

So a couple of questions:

1. Why, when converting from any other format to epub, is so much excess and useless code added? Looking through the css file, everything is "calibre_1, calibre_2" etc, and there can be upto 50 code styles, and most of them are the same or similar anyway. Then there is an excess of <span> throughout each xhtml page. There are even <spans> on the spaces between words. I can't imagine the original book was built this way. So why is there so much garbage code after conversion?

2. When using DeDRM, why does it automatically convert to mobi? How can you change it to convert directly to epub?

Is there any way, or better plugins to use that avoids the above?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #2
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I can't imagine the original book was built this way.
You can find absolutely anything in an ebook. Even new purchased books from major publishers can have some head-scratching code that makes you just go "WHY‽" (and even important errors in the html or css - don't they check?)

If you are getting books from amateur publishers or "free" sites, then the sky isn't even close to the limit. I've seen books where every paragraph had a different style name. The css had about 15,000 lines in it. Huge numbers of <span>s are not uncommon. Books like this may have been made for a particular audience, and/or gone through many hands before you.

So don't be surprised at this nonsense, very little of it is due to Calibre. The styles "calibre1", "calibre2" and so on is Calibre taking whatever it is given and trying to make a readable book out of it. Give it a nice, clean, well-coded book and it will do a very good job, with a minimum of "calibre" styles. Give it some weirdly coded book, and who knows what comes out.

If you get an "original" book in epub or azw3, try opening it in the editor before you convert it, and look at the coding. Some are so weird you can't even understand them (until after Calibre has dome a lot of clean-up with a conversion).

DeDRM, by the way, does no conversion at all, it just decrypts. If you are getting automatic conversions, you have set Calibre to do that, probably in Preferences-->Adding Books.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2021, 08:24 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
mobi or kfz (which calibre does not edit. why?)
The calibre editor is primarily an EPUB 2 editor. KF8 (azw3) format has basically the same content as EPUB 2 but packaged differently so it is not a big stretch to support that also.

MOBI is very similar to KF8 but is based on the ancient HTML 3 standard. I don't know why it isn't supported, perhaps because it is such an outdated format.

KFX on the other hand isn't based on HTML, but is a very proprietary Amazon format. Editing that would be next to impossible due to a lack of any documentation of how it works.

Quote:
1. Why, when converting from any other format to epub, is so much excess and useless code added? Looking through the css file, everything is "calibre_1, calibre_2" etc, and there can be upto 50 code styles, and most of them are the same or similar anyway.
Calibre's conversion process is designed to be able to the modify formatting of books. As part of that it regenerates CSS and flattens class definitions. Personally, I would prefer to have an option to disable that and leave the original formatting intact as much as possible.

Quote:
Then there is an excess of <span> throughout each xhtml page. There are even <spans> on the spaces between words. I can't imagine the original book was built this way. So why is there so much garbage code after conversion?
I haven't seen spans on spaces. I suspect that may have to do with the source of the book. I have heard that Kobo has a Kepub format which is known for having spans around everything.

Quote:
2. When using DeDRM, why does it automatically convert to mobi? How can you change it to convert directly to epub?
If you are getting books from Kindle for PC/Mac it tends to use the extension .azw regardless of the actual format of the book. DeDRM detects and sets the actual book format. You may be seeing MOBI because that was the actual format of the book.

There is an option in calibre to automatically convert books to another format upon import. (Preferences, Adding Books, Adding actions, Automatically convert added books to the preferred output format.) You may want to check that you have not enabled this by mistake.

Quote:
Is there any way, or better plugins to use that avoids the above?
The KindleUnpack plugin can unpack from KF8 (azw3) format to EPUB without going though the calibre conversion process. This results in an EPUB that matches the original source file provided by the publisher as closely as possible.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:48 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Conversion does not have an AI (but it does quite well in cases).
GIGO applies to ebooks given to Calibre to convert.

I've seen phases inside spans,with punctuation outside, then another span.
Not sure what they were after, a non-italic comma or quote????????
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:53 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi all, thank you for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The calibre editor is primarily an EPUB 2 editor. KF8 (azw3) format has basically the same content as EPUB 2 but packaged differently so it is not a big stretch to support that also.

MOBI is very similar to KF8 but is based on the ancient HTML 3 standard. I don't know why it isn't supported, perhaps because it is such an outdated format.

KFX on the other hand isn't based on HTML, but is a very proprietary Amazon format. Editing that would be next to impossible due to a lack of any documentation of how it works.
Thanks for the explanation. So if Mobi is such an outdated format, and Amazon is also dropping support, why does the DeDRM default to MOBI output? I suppose that is a question better asked of the developer.

Quote:
Calibre's conversion process is designed to be able to the modify formatting of books. As part of that it regenerates CSS and flattens class definitions. Personally, I would prefer to have an option to disable that and leave the original formatting intact as much as possible.
Yea, it would be good if it was left alone. A couple of times I have tried backing up an epub novel while I do a bit more editing. I use the convert book>epub and the converted book has had the css files changed to "calibre1" etc. Instead, I have opted to do just do a manual copy/paste to create a temporary backup.

Quote:
If you are getting books from Kindle for PC/Mac it tends to use the extension .azw regardless of the actual format of the book. DeDRM detects and sets the actual book format. You may be seeing MOBI because that was the actual format of the book.

There is an option in calibre to automatically convert books to another format upon import. (Preferences, Adding Books, Adding actions, Automatically convert added books to the preferred output format.) You may want to check that you have not enabled this by mistake.
I purchase off Amazon, then transfer to Calibre from my Kindle Gen 2 (with the broken screen ) and I end up with MOBI.
I wanted to avoid the double conversion as I thought that is what is adding all the extra tags - azw(?)>mobi>epub

Quote:
The KindleUnpack plugin can unpack from KF8 (azw3) format to EPUB without going though the calibre conversion process. This results in an EPUB that matches the original source file provided by the publisher as closely as possible.
Great. I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Conversion does not have an AI (but it does quite well in cases).
GIGO applies to ebooks given to Calibre to convert.

I've seen phases inside spans,with punctuation outside, then another span.
Not sure what they were after, a non-italic comma or quote????????
The problem is that I could never open the original format to inspect, so I had nothing to compare to the converted ebook I end up with. But after the above comments I now suspect the problem is GIGO just as you state.

I have a small library of 240 books. Most of the Amazon books are decent, but could do with some cleanup because of the excess code. Other books from elsewhere are just so poorly formatted. I have 6 novels where all the paragraphs have been stripped out and each chapter is just one paragraph. Grrrrr. They belong in the "elsewhere" group.
Advert
Old 11-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #6
Karellen
Wizard

Follow up question...

Which format would you use as your master copy? ie the format that you edit and fix, and from which you will convert to other formats depending on the ereader in use.

Would epub be the best choice or another format?
Old 11-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't remember if I looked at the kindle book in the editor but I had one that I converted to epub and it had a span around every word. I also think you can get more stuff added depending on things you've set in the calibre conversion settings, so you might try tweaking those if the extra stuff really bothers you.

In my case I think most if not all of that extra stuff is in the css file. I recently tweaked my conversion settings and now a bunch of the css classes have added to them
Code:
  border-bottom-color: currentColor;
  border-bottom-style: none;
  border-bottom-width: 0;
  border-left-color: currentColor;
  border-left-style: none;
  border-left-width: 0;
  border-right-color: currentColor;
  border-right-style: none;
  border-right-width: 0;
  border-top-color: currentColor;
  border-top-style: none;
  border-top-width: 0;
I just ignore it.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have 6 novels where all the paragraphs have been stripped out and each chapter is just one paragraph. Grrrrr. They belong in the "elsewhere" group.
You're in for a treat when you get a book that uses div tags instead of p tags. Luckily there's a plugin that can fix that in one go (editing toolbag I think it's called).
Old 11-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #9
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I also think you can get more stuff added depending on things you've set in the calibre conversion settings, so you might try tweaking those if the extra stuff really bothers you.
I haven't adjusted the conversion settings, as initially I did not understand many of the settings. Now with a bit more knowledge, I'll have a look at them again and see what i can tweak.

They are a little bit bothersome, but with a few different regex runs, I can clean most of it. Its just an extra step and I was curious why it happens.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors

One of the things that I think confuses people is that there are what I think of as two "flavors" of MOBI; there's the MOBI container and the MOBI format. What I'm calling the MOBI format is the very old MobiPocket format, which is essentially the version of HTML before there was CSS. The MOBI container can contain a book in multiple formats and can contain it both in the old MobiPocket format as well as in the newer format that uses CSS; convenient for Amazon so that one file works on very old Kindles as well as the newer ones. So don't be dismayed when you see that the ebook has a .mobi extension; it's just a container.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
pport, why does the DeDRM default to MOBI output?
It doesn’t default to MOBI. It doesn’t change the format. You get MOBI out because that is what you are putting in.

Quote:
I purchase off Amazon, then transfer to Calibre from my Kindle Gen 2 (with the broken screen ) and I end up with MOBI.
That explains why you are getting MOBI format. The second generation Kindle is twelve years old and does not support any of the newer formats. If you download a book targeting that device you will get MOBI format even though the book is available in newer and better formats when delivered to a newer device. Much of the original book formatting provided by the publisher is lost in MOBI format. You would be far better off installing the Kindle for PC/Mac app and using that to download Kindle books.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:44 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
DeDRM does not 'convert', it decrypts. So you started/ended with Mobi (probably based upon your registered device.

Master Format is always the original (sans DRM) for me. EPUB/AZW are my preferred ones. Most PDF are left 'as is' (the are usually User Guides (yes, I keep copies of all my manuals, instructions in Calibre)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:49 PM   #13
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
One of the things that I think confuses people is that there are what I think of as two "flavors" of MOBI; there's the MOBI container and the MOBI format.
Ok, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks!!

Quote:
That explains why you are getting MOBI format. The second generation Kindle is twelve years old and does not support any of the newer formats. If you download a book targeting that device you will get MOBI format even though the book is available in newer and better formats when delivered to a newer device. Much of the original book formatting provided by the publisher is lost in MOBI format. You would be far better off installing the Kindle for PC/Mac app and using that to download Kindle books.
Oh, right. I had no idea of this difference with the older kindle. Thanks!!

Yep, I will install the pc version of Kindle and use that instead. I assume the books are fairly easy to locate once downloaded? probably in %appdata% at a guess.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #14
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
DeDRM does not 'convert', it decrypts.
Yes, that is an important distinction. I am seeing where my errors are and how to fix now.

Quote:

Master Format is always the original (sans DRM) for me. EPUB/AZW are my preferred ones. Most PDF are left 'as is' (the are usually User Guides (yes, I keep copies of all my manuals, instructions in Calibre)
Ok, great. I was hoping epub was one of the better formats for this. Its what I have been using so far.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Follow up question...

Which format would you use as your master copy? ie the format that you edit and fix, and from which you will convert to other formats depending on the ereader in use.

Would epub be the best choice or another format?
Definitely EPUB.