Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
kinga428
kinga428 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Nook vs Cruz Reader

Hi all!
That would be my first ereader, but actually i cant decide.

Firstly, i'm outside the US, my father is there for work, so that now he could buy me a Nook. I read that that the direct downloading from Barnes&Noble wouldn't work outside the US, but I guess I could download the books on my PC and then upload them to my Nook, right? So I think it wont be a big problem.

On the other hand, I'm a student, so I have many many pdf files for my study and I also have many books in pdf. But I heard that the Nook doesnt handle the pdfs very fine.. Is that right?

Thasts why I was thinking about the Cruz reader, its almost a tablet pc, it may handle the pdfs better.. But surely it doesnt use e-ink, so im afraid that reading too much would torture my eyes..

What do you think? What would be better?
kinga428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Not sure about the Cruz. I had a Nook Classic and it was pretty sweet, though I never opened a pdf on it. I actually liked the Kindle 3 better than the old Nook just because of the weight. That went out the door, of course, when I got the Nook Color. Is that an option for you? The Nook Color handles pdf files very well.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
kinga428
kinga428 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Now I googled Nook Color and looks pretty attracting. But what about reading on it? It would be like reading a normal LCD screen, like on a PC, whichis not too comfortable. With e-ink it would be much better for the eye, am I right? Or the difference is not that big?
kinga428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #4
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
That's a really heated and debated area. I haven't seen any medical studies that show it's a LCD problem, I think it's more a problem of ergonomics, but some people report e-ink is better for everything, for them LCD is terrible, bad for the eyes etc...

E-ink has better battery life and can be read outside in the sun, that cannot be doubted.

I believe you cannot buy from the B&N store outside the USA, even on the computer, unless you use a VPN to make them think you have a US IP. You can buy from Kobo and other e-books stores that will sell outside the US and upload them to your Nook/Nook Color though.

Last edited by ypocaramel; 11-29-2010 at 10:40 AM.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinga428 View Post
Now I googled Nook Color and looks pretty attracting. But what about reading on it? It would be like reading a normal LCD screen, like on a PC, whichis not too comfortable. With e-ink it would be much better for the eye, am I right? Or the difference is not that big?
Its actually not as bad as everyone makes out. I adjust the brightness and the background color and its actually pretty nice to read on.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert