Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Mohan-V-Allied
Mohan-V-Allied began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Kobo Touch in an on-going loop.

Hello, Everyone,

First let me thank everyone who's been posting on this site as a lot of the threads have been very helpful to me and it's been good to read and learn about other ereaders.

Right, my problem. I have had a Kobo Touch for two years and only had minor problems, which were fixed by reading these threads, otherwise it's worked great.

Recently I sync/updated to the new software, and my problems began.
In the end I decided to return to the prior settings. I started a 'factory reset' which is still running. The longest time I left the Touch running was six hours on charge and the on overnight. In the morning the Touch was still running the 'factory reset'.

I have tried a number of things, several from this site. Different computers, leads, all of the advice listed on other threads. No joy. A number of people have this problem, but my problem is slightly different in that:
I cannot access the Touch via the computer, there is no sign on Explorer that a device has been plugged in.

I checked the forum, and tried the solutions offered, eg, access Device Manager, linked to microsoft ran one of their programs to see if could find the Touch, reset the setting on the computer etc.

I think I'm unable to access the Touch as the Program cannot be accessed while the 'factory reset' is running. It's stuck on one single section.

Q. How can I stop the loop and how can I access the Touch?
Q. If I can do that how can I load a new software?
Did ask Kobo if I could use a SD Card, but informed that Kobo doesn't support that.

I've pretty much decided that this Touch is now a write off, but thought I'd ask first.

Thanks in advance,
V. Mohan
Mohan-V-Allied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
First, does your model of the "Touch" have an internal uSD card? If so you should consider this.

If you can remove the internal uSD card (see above) you can mount it in windows, using "Bootice". Windows will not recognize the uSD card, as it is used in your device, because the partition table has a Linux type partition as the first partition. BootICE can be used to change the partition table so the FAT32 (KOBOeReader) partition is first in the partition table, and Windows will then see it and give it a drive letter. If you save the partition table both before and after changing the partition table, (Bootice lets you save and restore the partition table) you can "restore" the partition table to how you need it for your Kobo or to how you need it so Windows can use it.

First you will need BOOTICE, (there are different versions for 32 and 64 bit OS)

Then you can remove your Kobo devices internal uSD card, from your device and plug it into the reader on your PC.

Open Bootice and check that the "Destination Disk" is your uSD card.

Select the "Parts Manage" button and "Backup Partition Table", to save the existing partition arrangement so it can be restored easily after you are done. [I save mine in the same folder I keep my backup image files.] Give it a name like "Original_ Kobo.dpt"

Then select the "KOBOeReader" partition and click on the "Set Accessible" button. It should move to the top of the list. Now backup the partition table again and give it a name like; "AuraHD_FAT1st.dpt"

Close and exit Bootice. Open Windows Explrer and you should now have the FAT32 partition mounted and you can modify its contents.

When you are done, you open Bootice and restore the original partition table, that you saved earlier. Your uSD card should now work in your Kobo device again, with the changes you made in effect.

Now all you need to do to "Mount" the uSD card with the FAT32 accessible (for updates, ect.), is to "Restore" the FAT1st version of the partition table. Then make your changes and then restore using the backup of the original partition table.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
As long as it's not the original model of the Touch, a PM will be forthcoming (probably from davidfor) with a link to download an image for the SD card and instructions on how to write the SD card.

If it's the original model of the Touch, there is no SD card so no means to flash / recover it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Mohan-V-Allied: In the state your Touch is in, I would suggest following these steps to do a factory reset using the buttons. If that doesn't work, post the model number, either N905B or N905C, and I can send you the link to the image for the SD card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If you have external SD card loaded with books removing the SD card might help the reader finish booting.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Mohan-V-Allied

Thanks for the reply,

I did ask Kobo support if the "Touch" had an internal uSD card. Once they obtained my Kobo's details, I was informed that my model didn't have/support an internal uSD card.

Thanks for the advice,
V. Mohan
Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
savannah112
savannah112 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
HI
Not sure if i am in the right place, but i had to reset to factory settings. I have had my e-reader for about two years now maybe going on three. Anyhow (i am not computer literate so bear with me), I charged it and it had a different menu, normally it shows the books or book I am reading. Not this time. It wouldn't do anything, the books wouldn't open. So I reset it. Than I couldn't get off the screen about set up. I have logged into the account, downloaded or uploaded the set up stuff and nothing. Now I can't get pass the screen with the e-reader happy face on it. The thing is froze. No idea what to do, or who to ask at this point. I believe its the touch, I believe I still have the box and will have to look for it. Any suggestions or can you point me in the direction of the right thread? Thanks!
savannah112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Mohan-V-Allied

external sd card

Hello,

To be sure that I didn't have an internal sd card, I opened up my Kobo and found no sd card. Theres a chip which is soldered down.

Just wondering can you only update with a internal sd card? Would an external sd card not work? My Kobo details are N905 - KDN -S.

Thank you for your advice on this.

V. Mohan
Old 06-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo devices boot from the internal memory. If there is an internal SD card, it can be taken out and an image written to it. If the memory is fixed, you can't do that. Or at least I haven't heard of anyone doing it.

There is a way to boot from the external SD card, but I think you need a working device to start with. The discussion on this somewhere in the developers sub-forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote