Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 03:51 AM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
New Sony Bookstore is Back!

Here are my initial observations. Some of the books that I previously bought says unavailable for re-download. I'm sure they will be available at a later date. I downloaded 2 of my previously bought books and had no problem liberating them with ineptepub.

I spoke to soon; it went back offline!

Last edited by Lilly; 12-11-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Here are my initial observations. Some of the books that I previously bought says unavailable for re-download. I'm sure they will be available at a later date. I downloaded 2 of my previously bought books and had no problem liberating them with ineptepub.

I spoke to soon; it went back offline!

Same here Lilly. A couple listed as Unavailable but downloaded one and did the deal.

I did have to reset my password to get in. Did that happen to you?

Also looks like my credit card info is not there and will need to be re-entered.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
kenschunk
kenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enoughkenschunk will become famous soon enough

Device: History:PRS-505, 700, Kindle-2. Current: Nook 3G, Nook Color
Be careful of books in your shopping cart

I had one, "Pirate Latitudes" in my cart that I had meant to buy. Purchased it after the store converted to ePub. Sony was more than glad to take the money, and put it in my purchased list. Can't download the book, though - it's "unavailable". It also no longer shows up in the store if you search for it.

The tech support chat was interesting...

Kenneth Schunk> Nope. It shows up under my purchased list, and my purchased count went from 123 to 124. The button that would let me download it says "unavailable" instead of "download".
Kenneth Schunk> That particular book also no longer shows up in the store if searched for - perhaps not converted to ePub yet?
Smith_> I'm really sorry; as the eBook store is under upgradation so some of the eBooks might not be listed.
Smith_> Please try downloading it in the evening

Other than learning a new word - upgradation - the short answer is that not everything is converted yet, and to try again later.
kenschunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
romik653
romik653 began at the beginning.

Device: none
helloooooo
romik653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenschunk View Post
Other than learning a new word - upgradation - the short answer is that not everything is converted yet, and to try again later.
Yay !!! UPGRADATION is my new word of the week
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Same here Lilly. A couple listed as Unavailable but downloaded one and did the deal.

I did have to reset my password to get in. Did that happen to you?

Also looks like my credit card info is not there and will need to be re-entered.
No password reset here. Still using the same password. It did ask me for my first-name and last-name after I logged in and before taking me to the new store.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No password reset here. Still using the same password. It did ask me for my first-name and last-name after I logged in and before taking me to the new store.
Yep. Did the name thing here too.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Adobe ID and PW required at the new Sony Reader site

I accessed the store site via my new Reader 3.1 software.

It asked me for my first and last name AND asked for my Adobe site ID and password. The first time I just cancelled that request and it went in anyway. However, it keeps asking for that information each time until one enters it.

I presume new DRM protected PDF books will require that.

Also, I noticed not all of my books were available for download in the new ePub format.

However, I can read them in the old BBeB format in any event.

I used to copy and paste my ID and password to the Sony Reader site but it will not accept that anymore. I had to physically type it. Thus, I was forced to change my password to all numbers since it was too hard to type alpha with upper and lower case complicating the typing.

I presume this is now required to be able to use the new PRS 900 to download books directly via 3G networks. I also notice on the Sony Style site that my order for the PRS 900, just entered on Dec. 9, is now scheduled for shipping on Dec. 10. That is much earlier than previously estimated.

I notice that the Sign In link is only shown when using the Reader 3.1 software. It is not available when just accessing the Sony Reader site.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-11-2009 at 03:06 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
ginalola
ginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs-505,600 and 700
I just downloaded one of my previously purchased books in the EPUB format. when I tried to read it, I got a circle with a slash through it on the middle of my page, and in very tiny print it said "Page Protected". WTH?!! Who is the page protected against? I own that little sucker LOL. Has anyone else had this problem?
ginalola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginalola View Post
I just downloaded one of my previously purchased books in the EPUB format. when I tried to read it, I got a circle with a slash through it on the middle of my page, and in very tiny print it said "Page Protected". WTH?!! Who is the page protected against? I own that little sucker LOL. Has anyone else had this problem?
This might be a thread to read for your problem.

I hope you get it worked out. When you do, please post back here to let us know what worked.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
mmcbride
mmcbride began at the beginning.

Device: PRC300SC
I just got my PRS300 a few days ago. I've already bought seven books and downloaded beaucoup free books..this thing is groovy.

But, I took the upgrade this morning and now I can't get the reader site to authorize my reader. Check out my chat session (the last of three sessions) with Sony:

analyst Steve_ has entered room

Steve_> Hi Mack. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Steve. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Steve_> Thanks for waiting, Mack. I'll be glad to assist you with the information about status of the eBook Library Software.

Mack McBride> This is what I get when I try to authorize my reader. Sorry, we were not able to activate your device. Please contact Sony Support Center. Error Code (2027)

Error

Failed to authorize this Computer to the eBook store (-1106)

Steve_> Thanks for the information.

Steve_> Yes, the error message indicates that the eBook Library Software is still under maintainance.

Steve_> I am really sorry for that.

Steve_> I am sorry; it seems that additional features and additional eBooks are updating to the eBook Store.

Steve_> Hence, the eBook Library Softwate is down.

Mack McBride> That's why you test before going live. I know its not your fault. Its just galling that I bought some books that I wanted to read this morning and now I cant get to them until tomorrow.

Steve_> I am really sorry; this is the only available option at this moment to access eBook Store.

Mack McBride> so, its just under maintenance for me, but not for anyone else?

Steve_> I suggest that you Sign IN to your Account after some time of tomorrow.

Steve_> The eBook Store Website is down all over the U.S.

Mack McBride> I'm finding it a bit hard to take that a company like Sony could screw up like this. I should have bought a Kindle

It seems like others are able to access the site with their readers after the upgrade? Something definitely smells fishy in Denmark.
mmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I used to copy and paste my ID and password to the Sony Reader site but it will not accept that anymore. I had to physically type it. Thus, I was forced to change my password to all numbers since it was too hard to type alpha with upper and lower case complicating the typing.
I had a similar problem on my Mac. I could not paste with the keyboard shortcut... but if I right clicked on the password text box I could select paste from the shortcut menu. Perhaps the Windows version will be similar. I have yet to install it on a Windows machine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #13
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I am really annoyed at the fact that 50% of my purchased books are "unavailable" to download right now, and that Sony does not give any information regarding this. They really could have make a statement, saying that they were working on the books and that by the end of the year (or whenever) all purchased books would be converted to epub....

Now I am not sure they even plan to do this....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Some of the books that I previously bought says unavailable for re-download. I'm sure they will be available at a later date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I am really annoyed at the fact that 50% of my purchased books are "unavailable" to download right now, and that Sony does not give any information regarding this.
I have not yet upgraded (?) to the version 3.1, as I wanted to see how it worked out for others first.

Questions--- So are you saying that ebooks I've purchased from Sony which are .LRX may or may not be available in ePUB and therefore gone from my library and unreadable on my PRS700 after this download? How do I find out which books I've purchased in .LRX? I can find the files that are .LRX in the My Books/ebook library folder, but I can't tell what the titles are. And from The category "Purchased" in the library I can see the titles, but can't figure out how to tell ebook's format. I guess I can bring up each title under "purchased" on my reader and check for the book info that tells book's format, but that could take a while!

Also, am I correct in saying that I don't need to download 3.1 until I want to use the store to make a purchase? I' m sorry this is all very confusing to me and I'm very leery of whether or not I should download 3.1 until the end of the year, when hopefully all of my purchased books would be available.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I have not yet upgraded (?) to the version 3.1, as I wanted to see how it worked out for others first.

Questions--- So are you saying that ebooks I've purchased from Sony which are .LRX may or may not be available in ePUB and therefore gone from my library and unreadable on my PRS700 after this download? How do I find out which books I've purchased in .LRX? I can find the files that are .LRX in the My Books/ebook library folder, but I can't tell what the titles are. And from The category "Purchased" in the library I can see the titles, but can't figure out how to tell ebook's format. I guess I can bring up each title under "purchased" on my reader and check for the book info that tells book's format, but that could take a while!

Also, am I correct in saying that I don't need to download 3.1 until I want to use the store to make a purchase? I' m sorry this is all very confusing to me and I'm very leery of whether or not I should download 3.1 until the end of the year, when hopefully all of my purchased books would be available.
Both epub and lrx are listed in the new Library App. -- assuming you do the upgrade as I did. You should still be able to transfer them to your reader etc. But I'd make sure they are backed up somewhere -- even if just a copy -- before you do the upgrade as some people seem to be having problems with it --- those seems to be mostly on Vista or Macs -- I'm on Win XP Pro and everything went without a hitch. When you visit the store after the upgrade your purchases will be there but only downloadable in epub. If there is no epub of a particular title it is listed as unavailable.