Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Finding that RIGHT title

Have you ever agonized over finding just the right title for your novel?

I've got two that I'm considering and, while I'm happy with the one I'm pretty sure I'll use, I can't help but feel that the other one would also work.

I often find titles to be the most hilarious aspect of Indie-written novels - unintentional humor, to be sure, but still hilarious stuff. (On a more serious note, I wonder if any of these 'horrible' titles [my judgment] predispose the big publishers from not offering contracts to Fantasy authors, perhaps judging the merit of the work only on the title.)

"Orifice of Offal: The Trash-Eater Chronicles"

(Volume 8, 3rd Trilogy, Book 2)*

Don
*This is NOT a promotion; the book does not exist in any form whatsoever.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-26-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Hey Doc, I shouldn't worry about it. They'll change the name when they make it into a movie anyway!!
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

"Orifice of Offal: The Trash-Eater Chronicles"

(Volume 8, 3rd Trilogy, Book 2)*

Don
*This is NOT a promotion; the book does not exist in any form whatsoever.
Please write it soon.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
Trad publishers will change the title, usually to something that won't be the same as anything else they publish.

If you are self-publishing, then look for a title that will pop up on searches. I'm thinking of calling my next one "Free Erotic Novella". Bet that will pop on Google searches.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I like one-word titles that are relatively unique. It's irksome to me to look for a title I remember and have to wade through 20+ with the same name. ("A Murder of Crows" comes to mind.)

I end up hitting the thesaurus pretty hard sometimes, but it's worth it.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have a tough time going from "Working Title" to the final version, usually with a few stops in between. For my series novels, I try to develop a theme that relates the titles to each other; for example in one trilogy I used a variation of the last word in the previous title as the first word in the next (i.e., Paths of the Chosen, Choice of the Fallen, Fall of Creation). In my current series I'm using traits (Heart of a Hero, Soul of a Coward, Will of a Warrior) that summarize the journey of the main protagonist.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
We talked about this in my online writer's group once. The general concensus was that

(1) Titles are just dang hard
(2) If you can find a perfect fit for the book, you're dang lucky, and
(3) The publisher will probably change it for marketing reasons anyway

When I write short stories -- which generally aren't retitled by the editor -- I look for something that ideally serves three purposes. It should be memorable, so that it will help people recall the story. It should have thematic resonance, meaning that it adds extra depth to the story. And it should be intriguing, so that it will entice editors to read the manuscript.

Since I stink at titles, I seldom manage to fulfill all three purposes at once.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
(On a more serious note, I wonder if any of these 'horrible' titles [my judgment] predispose the big publishers from not offering contracts to Fantasy authors, perhaps judging the merit of the work only on the title.)
When I worked for the publishing houses, we ignored the title when evaluating a manuscript. We thought (and usually correctly so) that marketing was an author's weakest skill and a good title is a marketing matter. We always reserved the right to rename a book.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree with the others. Publishers do have a tendency to change a books title. When Robert Louis Stevenson wrote one of his novels he named it "The Sea Cook" and then the publisher turned around and named it "Treasure Island" which does stand out more.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I agree with the others. Publishers do have a tendency to change a books title. When Robert Louis Stevenson wrote one of his novels he named it "The Sea Cook" and then the publisher turned around and named it "Treasure Island" which does stand out more.

As well, the word "The" can make all the difference in what you may want to read:

"The Invisible Man"
"Invisible Man"

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
We thought (and usually correctly so) that marketing was an author's weakest skill and a good title is a marketing matter.
This is soooo true. IMO

Me, I think of the title as a several word summary of the plot and hope for the best.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that you can use titles to suggest the type of book that you are writing. When I was starting my sf series, I wanted to give people an idea of what they could expect. With that in mind, I went to my Robert Heinlein list and looked at his juvenile titles, and then I looked at the titles of juveniles from the 1950's. That helped me select a title that would suggest teenagers, fun, and adventure.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
I think that you can use titles to suggest the type of book that you are writing. When I was starting my sf series, I wanted to give people an idea of what they could expect. With that in mind, I went to my Robert Heinlein list and looked at his juvenile titles, and then I looked at the titles of juveniles from the 1950's. That helped me select a title that would suggest teenagers, fun, and adventure.
It can also give away too much of the plot if not chosen carefully. J.R.R.Tolkien always felt that "The Return of The King" wasn't the right title for the 3rd part of his 'Lord of the Rings' (or so I understand) because it reveals something central to the story. I imagine the publisher was the one who chose it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #14
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It can also give away too much of the plot if not chosen carefully. J.R.R.Tolkien always felt that "The Return of The King" wasn't the right title for the 3rd part of his 'Lord of the Rings' (or so I understand) because it reveals something central to the story. I imagine the publisher was the one who chose it.
That's true, but the title can also conceal something in plain sight. The trick is to word it in a way that seems innocuous but causes the reader to say "Hey!" at the end of the story.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
Rick G
Renaissance Geek
Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: iPad & kindle
I've taken to going with my gut. For my last two, I put in a working title with the thought that when I was finished editing inspiration would strike and I would find the perfect title. Turns out that in both cases I realized the working title was perfect all along and I should've spared myself the hours of agonizing.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote