Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
RChance
RChance began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Formatting Doc. files for public speaking

Hi, I am a pastor and just bought the reader to use for my sermon notes.

My question is how do I format doc. files so that a sentence is never broken between pages. I have worked on it for a few hours now, and have found no threads that help, and nothing i have tried has been 100% effective...

any ideas?
RChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
benong
Enthusiast
benong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-950
Hi RChance,

Welcome to the Sony Reader community! This problem can be resolve easily, but first of all you have to let us know what software you use to generate the file for the Reader. Currently there are a few options such as BookDesigner, or libprs500, both are freely available. If you wish, you may email me your doc and I'll do the conversion for you and send them back to you as an example so that you can see for yourself how that was done. You may reach me at ben.ong@gmail.com
benong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
RChance, one thing you can do to make sure it's how you want is to make a screen sized PDF. That will work quite well.

The screen size is 90mmx120mm.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead.

In answer to your exact question, there is no way to make DOC files page break at a specific point. All new page or section break commands in the DOC file are ignored (read unsupported) by the Reader. Likewise, TXT files do not support the new page command.

The only way to achieve your goal is through the use of other formats such as PDF or LRF files. As Jon pointed out, the Sony screen is 90 mm by 120 mm so making a correct sized PDF is a simple matter. On the other hand, the speed and flexibility of an LRF file can be an asset and use of the free tool BookDesigner should be considered. There is a great storehouse of knowledge about BD in the MobileRead community so assistance is just a question away.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Use a tool such as BD, and insert hard page breaks at points less than 1 "screen length" of the Reader. Experimentation will show you how often you need them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
RChance

thanks for all the input... it helped tremendously! Here is what i did...
I work in MS word 2003 btw.

I did as you guys said, and made a screen sized page(3.54 inches wide by 4.72 inches tall)with margins at .12 on all sides. I then used a 18 pt Times new Roman font. And made sure that i formatted the paragraphs to keep lines together, with justified text alignment. When done typing the sermon, I saved it as a pdf. then uploaded it to my Prs505... and it worked perfectly!!!

Thank God I had adobe acrobat, or i would be pulling my hair out trying to learn BD or some of these other programs you guys are talking about. The one and only draw back is that in going to the reader sized notes I had about 36 pages rather than my normal 8 to 10 pages on a normal sized paper. All in all i know that I am going to be thrilled with the reader as my speaking notes.

Another great plus, for any public speakers out there... I travel often, and now I dont have to carry a heavy notebook, or a travel printer for speaking engagements on the road. You cant get any better than this! Once again thanks for the help... i couldnt have figured it out without you guys...

thanks again!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
You don't need Acrobat to produce PDFs anymore -- there are fine programs which are either free or very inexpensive (CutePDF, PDF995 are a couple) which install as printer drivers and you simply print to that instead of one of your real printers and you get a very fine PDF file for very little money.

Of course, since you have Acrobat you might as well keep on using it, I just wanted to let you know in case you advise others who don't have acrobat.

What a great use for the reader -- do let us know after you've used it a bit longer, since it would also be great for any public speaking occasion!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
RChance

I used the Reader for a baby dedication today, as well as for my sermon.... it worked perfectly! I would highly recommend it for public speakers, after just one use! I figured out that I could go with a little smaller font (I used 18 pt.) and reduce the number of page turns. Instead of having two piles of notes for these two seperate speeches, It was great to have a sleek reader with my bible overlapping it (they are exactly the same size). So far as I can see the only challenge is waiting on the page to turn, but it worked seamlessly for me since i read ahead anyhow...

those are my initial thoughts... will post more thoughts as they come, although they tend to be rare for me. lol
Old 02-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Excellent -- now if you were to share your newly learned insights with other ministers, a brand new market for the device might develop which would further increase the visibility for the devices.

And I would think that the publishers of books aimed at ministers and other religious scholars might be enticed to make their books available in reader format, further increasing visibility for the devices.

In any event, I'm delighted it works so well for you! It's a use I hadn't thought of, but will certainly consider for any occasions where I need prepared notes for public presentations!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote