Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Numinous
Numinous doesn't litterNuminous doesn't litterNuminous doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 iPhone Kindle Ap
Dictonaries on Kindle

I notice that Amazon is selling Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition which is the dictionary I normally use at home in both the dead-tree and computer versions. Apparently, though, if I buy it I can't use it as the default dictionary for the Kindle look up feature.
Which dictionaries can be used? is there a version of MWCD that can be used? Where could that be found and what would be necessary to make it usable on the Kindle?
Ok, I'm a hopeless noob.
Numi
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
I notice that Amazon is selling Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition which is the dictionary I normally use at home in both the dead-tree and computer versions. Apparently, though, if I buy it I can't use it as the default dictionary for the Kindle look up feature.
Which dictionaries can be used? is there a version of MWCD that can be used? Where could that be found and what would be necessary to make it usable on the Kindle?
Ok, I'm a hopeless noob.
Numi

I don't believe at this point you have any choice at all. This is something they are 'supposed' to be working on.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Numinous
Numinous doesn't litterNuminous doesn't litterNuminous doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 iPhone Kindle Ap
I read somewhere that there are .mobi dictionaries that will work but there was not enough information about how to make them work, which ones will work or where to get them. It all seemed kinda vague to me (something about creating a mobipocket file). Hopefully Amazon will get a round toit.

Thanks,

Numi
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
That would be cool if you could set a different dictionary as the default one.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
I read somewhere that there are .mobi dictionaries that will work but there was not enough information about how to make them work, which ones will work or where to get them. It all seemed kinda vague to me (something about creating a mobipocket file). Hopefully Amazon will get a round toit.

Thanks,

Numi
You can, of course, load different dictionarys on the Kindle but you won't have the same ease of lookup as with the default.
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You can, of course, load different dictionarys on the Kindle but you won't have the same ease of lookup as with the default.
I think you can. I set my default dictionary to another one before.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
There is something in the K2 User Guide about changing the default dictionary. I believe it gives detailed instructions if I recall correctly.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Sorry, what kind of dictionary is the default?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Sorry, what kind of dictionary is the default?
It comes with The New Oxford American Dictionary
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
There is something in the K2 User Guide about changing the default dictionary. I believe it gives detailed instructions if I recall correctly.
By golly, when you are right, you are right........from Chapter 7 of the Kindle Users Guide

Quote:
Choosing Your Primary Dictionary
You can choose the dictionary you want to use when you look up words while you are reading.
The default is The New Oxford American Dictionary included on your Kindle, but you can
change your dictionary choice by purchasing a different dictionary on the Kindle Store and then
following these steps:
1. If you are not already on the Home screen, press the Home button.
2. Press the Menu button.
3. Move the 5-way to underline "Settings" and press to select.
4. Press the Menu button.
5. Move the 5-way to underline "Change Primary Dictionary" and press to select.
6. Move the 5-way to underline the dictionary you want to use and press to select
Old 02-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
By golly, when you are right, you are right........from Chapter 7 of the Kindle Users Guide
Kindle 1 has the ability for the dictionary to be changed via the settings screen. The problem is there have been no dictionaries to switch to... they've all been marked "not yet available". Hopefully this will change soon.

Edit: The Webster dictionary was one I contacted both Miriam Webster and Amazon about last June. Since it's available now, I'm going to download it and see if it works. I'll let you know.

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-21-2009 at 07:03 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Great find! Thanks for that
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I am aware of no dictionaries with DRM (or from the Kindle store) that work as the primary dictionary on the Kindle. You can use one of the publicly available DRM-free MOBI dictionaries available here as the primary dictionary on the Kindle: Webster, Noah: Webster's Dictionary 1913, GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English, and Wordnet Dictionary for Mobipocket. I have only tested the GNU dictionary (not the other two), but I am anyway happy with the Oxford American so I have not switched.

I downloaded the sample of the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition on the Kindle, but this is not detected as a dictionary and isn't even usable as a conventional book dictionary. The entire dictionary might be ok though, and I'm sure you will get your money back if it does not work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Success!

It works now!

Edit: It also works right away. No need to wait for any kind of indexing! This is great! Thanks for getting me to revisit this Numinous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dictionary1.gif
Views:	272
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	24115   Click image for larger version

Name:	dictionary2.gif
Views:	304
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	24116   Click image for larger version

Name:	dictionary3.gif
Views:	288
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	24117  

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-21-2009 at 07:23 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It works now!

Edit: It also works right away. No need to wait for any kind of indexing! This is great! Thanks for getting me to revisit this Numinous.
sweet!!
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote