Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2024, 06:12 PM   #1
monti_73
monti_73 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10G
Help installing KUAL and MRPI

Hello, this is mi first day with a Jailbroken Kindle and Im having troubles to install (or understand) KUAL and MRIP.

My devide is Kindle 10th Gen, serial G090WF, so the name is KT4 according to this page
Im running firmware 5.16.2.1.1 which I installed to run LanguageBreak Jailbreak (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=356872)
As far as I can understand, the jailbreak was succesfull, because when I type ;log on the search bar, some text appear on the top. Im not so sure if the hotfix is correctly installed...

Im trying to follow this tutorial to make a wifi page turner, and it say to install KUAL and MRIP.

I found NiLuJe post, and downloaded this files:

MR Package Installer | kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r19303.tar.xz | 2023-Nov-05 13:37:00 | 1.7M

and this:
KUAL | KUAL-v2.7.32-g74c69f9-20240104.tar.xz | 2024-Jan-04 13:37:00 | 214.0K
KUAL (coplate) | KUAL-f190a38-20240104.tar.xz | 2024-Jan-04 13:37:00 | 73.5K (This is if the hotfix is already installed I think).

I have downloaded both files, extracted them, and place them onto the root folder of the Kindle, then restarted the Kindle.

I did it first with the MRPI but nothing has changed... I can't see any new option on the menu that says Update your Kindle.

Then I did the same with the KUAL.
With the first version, the Kindle tried to install it but ended up with an update failed message.
Then I tried with the coplate version, but I get a message as soon as I unplug the Kindle, saying the update files are invalid.

Im I doing the correct process? How can I install this packages?

monti_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:34 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You went to the correct place to get the files, but you also need to read the installation instructions.

First MRPI: Read the first post in its thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=251143
Carefully follow the instructions in the spoiler under INSTALL

Next KUAL: Read the first post in its thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203326
Pay close attention to the instructions in the spoiler under
Important notice for KOA/KT3/KOA2/PW4/KT4 owners, as well as *anything* that might be running FW >= 5.9.x:
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2024, 01:34 AM   #3
monti_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You went to the correct place to get the files, but you also need to read the installation instructions.

First MRPI: Read the first post in its thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=251143
Carefully follow the instructions in the spoiler under INSTALL

Next KUAL: Read the first post in its thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203326
Pay close attention to the instructions in the spoiler under
Important notice for KOA/KT3/KOA2/PW4/KT4 owners, as well as *anything* that might be running FW >= 5.9.x:
Hello, Thanks for the answer. I've al ready seen those instructions, but still confused ��

"Installing" the MRPI is just coping the files to the root, right?
Quote:
This is a KUAL extension, so it's as simple as unpacking the MRPI package you'll find in the Snapshots thread to the root directory of your Kindle over USB . You should end up with an extensions folder (with an MRInstaller subfolder) and an mrpackages folder at the USB root of your device.
As mentioned earlier, it'll plug into the Helper menu.
Then, I put "Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_v2.7.32_install" file on the extensions folder, and type ";log mrpi". Something was installed... and I see a new document in the Library.
Then I copied "Helper" and "ScreenSavers Hack", and did the same ";log mrpi", but I cant see any change, or dont know how to use it.
Am I missing something? ��

Old 01-14-2024, 10:32 AM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monti_73 View Post
"Installing" the MRPI is just coping the files to the root, right?
That depends on what you mean by "copying".

The istructions say to extract, which is trivial with the tar command.

You need to preserve the directory structure. In the root of the kindle should be the directory extensions and in that the directory MRInstaller and so on.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:17 PM   #5
monti_73

Hello!
Yes, I've extracted the files. Heres is how the files are placed on my kindle.

When I type ";log mrpi", it says Hush baby... but after that I cant see any changes or new menus. Or I dont know how to find the new options, like the screensaver :/
Advert
Old 01-14-2024, 07:38 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

You didn't list the contents of the extensions directory.

The MRInstaller directory should be inside extensions.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:30 PM   #7
monti_73

This are the folders right now
Old 01-15-2024, 08:08 AM   #8
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
You don't copy the whole folder "ScreenSavers" into "mrpackages" folder. There you only add update_*.installer.*.bin file, one bin per hack. And you copied both uninstaller and installer and also 2 installers for different Kindle generations.

Only thing you should copy into "mrpackages" is "Update_linkss 0.25.N_install_pw2_and_up.bin".
So,you should have : "H:\mrpackages\Update_linkss 0.25.N_install_pw2_and_up.bin".

And the "helper" folder that you transferred wrongly into "mrpackages" I'm guessing is the content of "helper" KUAL extension? If so that needs to go into "H:\extensions".

Last edited by shamanNS; 01-15-2024 at 08:13 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:01 AM   #9
monti_73

--- posted by error, im still trying ----

Last edited by monti_73; 01-15-2024 at 11:06 AM.