Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
would this be a useful sticky?

Would it be useful to put a sticky link to my calibre web help file?

http://stu.wccnet.edu/~rprice/Eng218/Calibre%20Help/

it isn't complete, of course, and gives links to the manual and to useful threads here, but I think it's a good guide for beginners to calibre, and answers some of the most common questions I see here.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have added it to the start here sticky: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118558
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I hope beginners find it useful.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Is this a student project? Will it remain at this link long?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Yes it's a student project, but will remain at that site indefinitely. Someday I may get my own domain and could host it there, but the school lets student projects stay up for years.

if you find mistakes or ways I can improve it, please let me know. I'll still have access to the source files and the software used to create it.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 06-29-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You made it?! Cool!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
...if you find mistakes or ways I can improve it, please let me know. I'll still have access to the source files and the software used to create it.
BP - your help file says - "Although the Date column is given in European style (DD/MM/YY), the Date column is sorted by month, day, and year (MM/DD/YY)."

Are you sure 'your' Calibre sorts dates that way, mine appears to sort YYYYMMDD eg ascending

Code:
sortdate - display date

20091017 - 17/10/09
20100820 - 20/8/10
20110503 - 3/5/11
If it were otherwise I'd go nuts.

What did you use to write the html, looks like a real help file (i.e. a chm). I wish all online help used it.

BP
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
BP - your help file says - "Although the Date column is given in European style (DD/MM/YY), the Date column is sorted by month, day, and year (MM/DD/YY)."

Are you sure 'your' Calibre sorts dates that way, mine appears to sort YYYYMMDD eg ascending

Code:
sortdate - display date

20091017 - 17/10/09
20100820 - 20/8/10
20110503 - 3/5/11
If it were otherwise I'd go nuts.

What did you use to write the html, looks like a real help file (i.e. a chm). I wish all online help used it.

BP
There is a Preference: tweak to set the date(time) display for each of various columns
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

oops - I'd better fix the date comment then. Since there are so many preferences, maybe I should just delete that comment. I'll get the revised version up Monday night.

I made it using RoboHelp, so yeah, it's a real help file. I could compile it as a .chm, but I felt web help would be more useful - I'm not sure how .chms work on Macs or on Linux machines.

Later this summer, I'll be converting it from RoboHelp to Flare -I like the way Flare handles searches better.

-becca
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard

How's this for new text?

Spoiler:
Changing the Way Dates Display

The Date column is given as (DD/MM/YY), the Date column is sorted by year, month, then day(YYYY/MM/DD).

There is a Preference tweak to set the date(time) display for the various columns

To change the date display:

1. Press Ctrl + P and click the Tweaks icon.

2. Select "Control how dates are displayed".

3. In the "Edit Tweak" area, change the date format to the desired format. Use the "Help" area above the "Edit Tweak" area to format your dates.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Thanks for this. I agree that for sharing this with other people over the Internet, Webhelp is more useful than .chm.
After you've done the conversion to Flare you could even publish as Epub!
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I tried a quick conversion to ePub with RoboHelp, and wasn't pleased with the output - all my cross references were gone. Once I've got a better grip on Flare, I'll try their single-source output, but single sourcing from web help to epub is a lot of work. Would there be a need for this kind of task-based procedures in epub? because if so, it'll be worth the work to do, although I'm not sure how to set things up so someone could download the epub.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
How's this for new text?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
... Webhelp is more useful than .chm.
If your offline or using a 256/64Kbps satellite link with a 1G/month download quota then Webhelp is a PITA.

Yes- I've dl'd the epub version of the Calibre User Manual. The Help button still insists on going to the 'net, be good it there was a tweak to tell to go to a file instead.

BR

Once they figure out how to create commodities out of thin air, as the central bankers have done with 'money', then we'll all be herded into cities so they can more easily watch what we're doing. The compensation will be that we'll each have a petabit link to Big Brother 'net to read manuals on line

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-30-2012 at 09:32 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote