Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Joywalker
Enthusiast
Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Can't do Highlight/ Dictionary on Kobo book.

Hi,

Has anyone encountered this before:

I've purchased a book from Kobo "Unbearable Lightness" last week and I've been reading since then. Just a while ago, I wanted to check the definition of a word, I realized the dictionary function is not working.

But when I opened a free preview book from Kobo and tried the highlighting/dictionary function, it works!

Strange. From what I've read,I thought all Kobo books will be able to use the dictionary on Touch.

Any good explanation??
Joywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:36 AM   #2
Joywalker
Enthusiast
Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Strange thing happened again!
First,I switched on my wifi on Touch and then pressed the sync option.
Guess what? Another copy of "Unbearable Lightness" (this time with a cover) was being downloaded into my Touch! Now I've got 2 copies of the same book!

I've tried the dictionary function on this newly downloaded version and it works.

This is weird!!
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Sounds like you downloaded the Adobe DRM epub from our website and used ADE to sync it to your eReader.

Then you hit the sync button which downloaded the Kobo-DRM'd version of it.

Downloading the Adobe DRM epub means the reader will treat it as sideloaded content.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
Sounds like you downloaded the Adobe DRM epub from our website and used ADE to sync it to your eReader.

Downloading the Adobe DRM epub means the reader will treat it as sideloaded content.
Thanks for the explanation.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Great analysis George. Your diagnosis of the problem also explains why the OP could not use the dictionary since this is not yet available for Adobe DRM EPUBs.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Joywalker
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post

Thank you!
So,to prevent such things from happening again,I guess I should just buy books from the Kobo desktop program and sync it with Touch. Am I right?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joywalker View Post
Thank you!
So,to prevent such things from happening again,I guess I should just buy books from the Kobo desktop program and sync it with Touch. Am I right?
Yes, that is correct. Generally, ADE is used to load those books into your Touch ereader which were not purchased from Kobo such as books purchased from the Sony store and other stores or books downloaded from Project Gutenberg and other public domain sources.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Joywalker
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Yes, that is correct. Generally, ADE is used to load those books into your Touch ereader which were not purchased from Kobo such as books purchased from the Sony store and other stores or books downloaded from Project Gutenberg and other public domain sources.
Thanks again!
I will take note in future.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
Personal ePub documents

Deleting

Last edited by Nina182B; 07-07-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Deleting message.. someone answered in another thread.
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote