Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Which one for a newbie ?

Hi all,
I need some help in finding an ebook reader which fits my needs, and it isn't easy to find my way through the many models out there.
I'll start by saying for what it is needed: Its main purpose will be for reading ebooks (duh) which are mainly in PDF format. So therefore it has to be have good support for PDF (both font as pictures within pdf).
Also the screen can't be tiring to the eyes (so no LCD), but seems that most devices use e-ink technology.
Most of my ebooks are IT related, and reading them on the pc is fine, but after an hour I have had it

I can already scrap the 5 inch readers as the screen is somewhat too small.
Kindle is also out for several reasons. I thought of sony PRS 900, but is not available in europe apparently.
So this leaves me with a lot of devices left and me being uncertain. Can anyone advice some great readers for PDF (which retains good font quality by zooming in - out). Ipad has been mentioned by someone, but 500 euro is a bit much. I was thinking between 200-250.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
PDF really only renders well on full blown PCs, but if you insist on a reader device...
...note that PDF use 6 inchers are barely tolerable.
If LCD is out and you refuse to touch a Kindle DX your only choice is to wait til september for the Pocketbook 901 or longer for another 9in to (maybe) appear.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
There is no simple answer in your case. First, I would recommend you NOT read PDFs on most ereaders.... there a many other formats that are better...ie. epub, fb2, html

Second, Most people think that PDFs are terrible on ebook readers, but I would say that it depends on the PDF. I have read many in PDF format that read very well even with pictures. Now, graphs or tables usually do not render well on an Ebook reader. Thus, I usually convert many pdfs with PDF transformer to html. Then I convert it to epub for my Sony 505 or leave it as html for my Astak Pocket Pro.

For price and ease of use I would recommend a Sony 600, Bebook Neo, Astak Pocket Pro, Pocket book 360, Cybook Opus, or an Onyx Boox. They all are good readers and all have their limitations of course. You will get a lot of hard core supporters telling you which is the best, but all in all many of the readers are good,,,,, but Not great. It is still the early days for ebook readers. If you want many formats i would go with Astak, Bebook or Pocketbook......
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I think I found which one would be good. The ASUS DR-900.
It has a large screen and in the demos (youtube) looks quite nice.
But does anyone know more about the release date ? I found some dates on the net, but most of them are implying march - may 2010, but so far haven't found a single online store which sells them ? Anybody knows ?
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Sure, I'd be in line to examine and possibly buy this ASUS model ... but it might be some time before it makes it to my shores. In the meantime, given your need for pdf, I'd be looking at a Kindle DX.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I think the Kindle DX Graphite model is your only option right now. If you don't mind the weight and the dual screen (and the higher price) the Entourage eDGe is a good choice. PDF support is very good. The problem is that the device is heavy and not really suited as a dedicated ebook reader. It is intended to be used by students in classrooms and such. It is very good for that. The best PDF reader I have seen so far is the iPad but its LCD screen can be a disadvantage for most people as it is tough on the eyes when you read for long periods of time. In my opinion, and being in a very similar situation as yours as far as deciding on an e-reader for PDF with eInk, I only see the following choices

A. Buy the Kindle DX Graphite model now and live and/or work around its existing problems.

B. Wait for the next generation of large screen e-readers either by the end of 2010 or early 2011. These devices are expected to be better than the current Kindle DX, including possibly a newer generation of Kindles by Amazon themselves.

Note: Based on my experience, PDFs and academic papers in PDF including scientific and technical books, magazines, and journals require a large screen. A 6" is not enough in my opinion.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote