Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2021, 11:33 PM   #1
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
elipsa cover

I sure hope someone comes up with a 3rd party cover.

The one that comes with it is so heavy. The elipsa is 397 or so grams and the cover is 348. So the cover almost doubles the weight. And it feels so ungainly with the cover. Even if you unsnap the cover from the shell the shell adds weight with the magnets (or iron) at the top and bottom.

I would pay a premium for a nice light cover.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:08 AM   #2
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post

The one that comes with it is so heavy. The elipsa is 397 or so grams and the cover is 348. So the cover almost doubles the weight. And it feels so ungainly with the cover. Even if you unsnap the cover from the shell the shell adds weight with the magnets (or iron) at the top and bottom.

Yes i got mine today and haven't even opened it and won't use it.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2021, 12:17 AM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I feel nervous just laying the ereader down anywhere without the cover to protect it.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:08 AM   #4
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I find the cover very convenient as a dock to the left of my computer, on a slope thanks to the fold on the back. And I will use it as a protection in a suitcase when I drive away to my holidays next week.

With a car the weight doesn't signify, but I won't take the Elipsa with me when on the go in planes, or trains, or commuting - the Libra is perfect for that.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
I really like the cover, very high quality, well-designed, and the fold option allows for the perfect position (for me) to write/read/doodle on a hard surface. Optionally, the top cover easily detatches. The slot for the stylus is well thought out. For casual reading from a chair/sofa, I use the following with the Elipsa as well as my other Kobos:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2021, 09:41 PM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I really like the cover, very high quality, well-designed, and the fold option allows for the perfect position (for me) to write/read/doodle on a hard surface. Optionally, the top cover easily detatches. The slot for the stylus is well thought out. For casual reading from a chair/sofa, I use the following with the Elipsa as well as my other Kobos:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have similar feelings. The cover adds to the heft of the device, that is for certain, but it also contributes to the positive experience I am having with my Elipsa for many of the reasons the two of you have pointed out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:38 PM   #7
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I thought I would dislike the vertically-opening cover, but I've discovered that I quite like it, especially since it is magnetic, which makes it easy to detach and reattach. I remove the cover to read, then reattach it when I'm done. Very nicely designed.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I thought I would dislike the vertically-opening cover, but I've discovered that I quite like it, especially since it is magnetic, which makes it easy to detach and reattach. I remove the cover to read, then reattach it when I'm done. Very nicely designed.

I’m used to the vertical-opening cover because I have the official Kobo Clara cover, but sometimes that magnet is so strings that the folds in the cover can get connected while I’m trying to flip it over. Small inconvenience.

I had my Clara near my Elipsa last night and for a moment worried something was wrong with my Clara. It kept going to sleep. It was late, I was tired, and I was placing the Clara on the Elipsa without realizing its closed magnetic cover was the culprit. That problem was solved by going to bed. LOL

When I’m jotting notes or writing in a notebook, I’ve come to appreciate that hefty cover. Especially with the ability to prop. I can jot with ease. The Clara allows one to prop up the device using Kobo’s cover, but the magnet is so weak that the propping is wobbly and unstable.

However, if one isn’t using the Elipsa as a writing device, I can see that the cover’s weight might not be desirable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-03-2021, 11:26 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Yes i got mine today and haven't even opened it and won't use it.
Sort of similar here; I started using the elipsa without the cover and it's amazingly light given its size. Then after a day or so I remembered the cover and put it on and then my reaction was, "Dern, this thing is heavy."
Old 07-06-2021, 12:58 AM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Since my Elipsa is defective, I took it out of the case to prep it for shipment. The case does indeed add weight. That made me wonder. Of the folks here who don't use the case, how many of you are utilizing the stylus with notebook & annotation features on your Elipsa?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #11
elipsajune
elipsajune began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen), Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Since my Elipsa is defective, I took it out of the case to prep it for shipment. The case does indeed add weight. That made me wonder. Of the folks here who don't use the case, how many of you are utilizing the stylus with notebook & annotation features on your Elipsa?
I've been using the notebook feature without the case. I keep the stylus in a pen holder with normal pens.
elipsajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #12
hobnail
Running with scissors

Hah, Nate nailed it:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...epcover-review
Old 04-08-2023, 05:17 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post

I just purchased mine and I HATE the case. So bulky. My 3rd pty case for The Scribe fits it tho. Also no color choices. Everyone gets the same drab color . But at least it was nice they included a case
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:19 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I still do I just have al my pens on my work desk and i go and grab it when I read.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 05:43 AM   #15
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I just purchased mine and I HATE the case. So bulky. My 3rd pty case for The Scribe fits it tho. Also no color choices. Everyone gets the same drab color . But at least it was nice they included a case
You wouldn't be inclined to sell it? Mine got shredded by the cat and I actually liked it a lot, but no option to buy a new one from Kobo

Edit: A reseller just popped up on our local kobo retailer (bol.com)

Last edited by Amon_Re; 04-11-2023 at 06:13 AM.
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote