Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
What newspapers do you read?

I´m curious to hear what newspapers you read with your iliad?
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
-RenE-
-RenE- began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
NRC Handelsblad (a Dutch newspaper). Are any other newspapers available?
-RenE- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
bazzargh
bazzargh began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by -RenE- View Post
NRC Handelsblad (a Dutch newspaper). Are any other newspapers available?
Guardian G24 pdfs:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/g24

Someone posted a script a while back for pulling down a selected handful of front pages from the newseum:
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/default.asp

There's also the wikinews print edition: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Print_edition, but you might as well grab the bbc news feed instead. It seems odd that the free papers (like say the Metro in the UK) don't offer downloadable versions, complete with the print ads.

Some other papers still sell full pdf editions though, like L'Equipe.
bazzargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

Newspaper reading has been the biggest disappointment for me with the Iliad. I read 4 or five papers (american and british) plus a smattering of Spanish or Arabic papers in the mornings on my laptop. When I bought the Iliad, I thought it was going to get me off the computer; Irex was going to make deals with the big dailies so we could subscribe through IDS. What a disappointment.

More recently I've tried various options like feedbooks, which will supposedly allow you to download papers from the internet bypassing IDS. But the thing is, they don't really work. Clunky interfaces, unreliable downloading, etc. So basically I am moored to my laptop for my newsreading.

What I would read if I could on my Iliad: NYTimes, WashPost, SFChron, Independent, Guardian, Universal(Mex), Reforma(Mex) LaVanguardia(Sp), Dustur(Eg), MasryAlYoum(Eg)(I live in Egypt). And I would pay, really. And I'd pay for magazine subscriptions too.
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbrown View Post
Newspaper reading has been the biggest disappointment for me with the Iliad... Irex was going to make deals with the big dailies so we could subscribe through IDS. What a disappointment.
I must admit I haven't taken the time to figure out how to connect to newspapers yet. If one only can subscribe to newspapers iRex have a deal with.... well, that means it will probably never be of any use. It's not like we hear anything about any deals in progress... or if there's any progress at all.

*sigh*

I love that my iliad has wireless capabilities, but so far I haven't had much use for it except to update it's firmware.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert