Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Rent or Buy eBooks

Reading the post from zerospinbosun this morning, it brought me back to one of those arguments I often have with fellow eBookers. What is the best model for eBooks going forward?

In my case i would much prefer to pay a monthly flat rate, lets say $20, to access as many eBooks as I want. They would expire after 14 days. I think I would read more than I do now and it would work out much cheaper for me. I realise this may present problems to publishers/ebooksellers, but that shouldnt affect what the consumer wants!

Even in the physical world, I hardly ever read a book more than once and since drm prevents me from swapping or loaning my eBook, the rental model makes sense. I could then purchase any particular title I have rented for a modest extra fee.

I'd be interested in what everyone else thinks.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I agree: I have no infatuation with "owning" the book (which is not really on offer anyway since you are only given restricted rights). However, if I were to sign up for a subscription to an ebook library I would want it to have a very large selection. Amazon and Sony would probably meet my needs but most smaller retailers wouldn't. If they could offer the full collection of OverDrive ebooks then that would probably be satisfactory.

The important question is whether publishers make more money off heavy readers or light readers. If it is the former then the subscription model won't work because heavy readers will be paying significantly less if the flat monthly fee covers all the books they wish to read.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I regularly re-read books and I lend book to friends so I have to be able to do that with e.book also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote