Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-18-2024, 05:20 AM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Problem when Calibre loads

I am running Calibre 7.10 on a laptop running Windows 11. Calibre is the portable version running on a portable hard drive connected to the laptop. I have my libraries split over 21 'sub' libraries for convenience.
I recently had to rebuild my main Calibre library which exists on the drive with all my other libraries but it will not now recognise my main Calibre Library file.

I decided to create a blank library and then import all my books from the rebuilt Calibre library. However when I open up the calibre program it immediately starts a job trying to get a list of books from a device and, if it is left to continue, takes forever (I never let it go further than two days). The job cannot be stopped by 'Stop selected jobs., it says 'Cannot kill jobs that communicate with the device'. I do not have a device (like a Kindle) attached at this time so am confused by this issue and obviously need help to get out of this quandary. I have been a user for many years but recently my laptop has not helped my humour as well as being in my 80th year! Most of my life (since the early 80s) has been involved with computers on different levels (System Analyst, IT Manager etc).

Regards
mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 12:53 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
First question would be if you have a device plugged into your computer that calibre might be seeing as a device being used as an ereader? Secondly, did you set up a Connect to folder" pseudo-device? Look at the bottom left of the calibre screen and does it show Connected <device name>?

Last edited by DNSB; 05-18-2024 at 12:57 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 02:41 AM   #3
mitch13
Groupie

Problem when Calibre loads

Thanks for answering DNSB.
1. No device attached other than the portable drive that Calibre is on and connection for wireless mouse.

2. At the bottom left of the Calibre screen is says "Connected Folder Device [0 books]. When I click this it goes immediately to the Calibre Webpage :

https://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new
Old 05-19-2024, 03:00 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch13 View Post
Thanks for answering DNSB.
1. No device attached other than the portable drive that Calibre is on and connection for wireless mouse.

2. At the bottom left of the Calibre screen is says "Connected Folder Device [0 books]. When I click this it goes immediately to the Calibre Webpage :

https://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new
You need to 'eject' the pseudo device folder:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-19 165619.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	208372

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-19-2024 at 03:06 AM. Reason: better screenshot
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 01:30 AM   #5
mitch13
Groupie

Problem with Calibre loading

BetterRed,
Tried searching for folder and finally found in the Calibre folder called "New Folder". Deleted this and almost back to finally recovering my main Calibre library (large 1.1Tb). The library file is in with all my other "sub" libraries but Calibre will not recognise it. Unless there is another solution it means finding 1.1+Tb on another drive as the current drive has not enough room to load all the books from my original library into a new blank library.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:10 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Read what I wrote.

If you have "Connected Folder Device" on the status line, you have connected calibre to a folder (i.e. a 'pseudo device'), you need to eject it - as shown in the screenshot. If you can't see the Device tool, either add it or try the SmartEject plugin.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote