View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps you should consider whether or not you should be doing business with a company whose sales conditions you find yourself unable to accept?
First of all, there's not even a consensus whether those sales conditions even apply = would be legally binding.
And I guess, sticking only to the "acceptable ones" would limit the field quite substantially.
Most likely I only could go for units which don't bundle any content.
B&N, Amazon and Apple probably would be out of the game.
Sony probably would remain.
I don't see it as "unacceptable". But I think it's simply not very well thought out.

Just an example:
The limitation of ADE is ridiculous. I permanently have to request new activations, for every single new ADE-capable reader.
Even if I delete all of my former activations.
But this would be easily solvable:
They could allow the end customer, to manage his activations.
For example, a maximum of 3 "living" activations at once.
Right now, I can activate new units but keep the old ones. I agree, this leaves room for mis-use (=reselling readers plus content more than once).
But they simply could request: When having 3 readers active, you have to de-activate the others. Not just by deleting the account. In Amazon, for example, I do so. Most of the books I only can have 4 times at once. But I have 3 Kindles, plus PC, plus iPhone, plus iPod touch plus iPad. So I've deleted iPhone and iPod touch for example. The books are gone, as those units are online. But I could have deleted the Kindles as well. The books would NOT be gone, as mine are the US versions, so I can't go online in Germany. So I could delete the Kindles from the account, but the content already on them still would be accessible.
So I actually could resell those Kindles fully loaded.
Why not just request to connect your Kindle to the PC, so the content gets deleted while de-activating?
Then they would be sure, you have for example, 3 copies of each books active at once as a maximum. And this could be considered in the licensing scheme (probably already is).
And then they could allow you, to sell 2 copies tops.
And this scheme of course would be possible for any given number of activations.

So the only problem actually occurs, because all of them don't have any control over the number of copies you actually might have.
But that's just due to their inefficient system.

As long as all of them are on the same level of "inefficiency", you have to accept it.
But I'm sure, I'm not the only one who eagerly would switch format/account/DRM-scheme as soon as there's a smart alternative.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote