View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #27
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
a final? (maybe) word on all this small caps stuff.

In all the books I've seen it used, in whatever variant, I have yet to see it used intelligently - ever. By which I mean ending it with attention to context, at the end of a sentence, or phrase.

It seems that publishers decide to always small cap the first N words, or the first N centimetres.

So you get small caps intro chunks that consist of sentence + one word, or all-but-one word of a phrase, or even ones bug out half way through someone's name, at the FN/LN boundary.

Maybe it's all down to machine typesetting, surely in ye golden olden days of human typesetting ther'd be a little more sense applied ?

& its not impossible to write regex that ends the small caps if a full stop or comma is detected.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote