View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Just my 2c. I disagree about all being equal. I bought a Lenove desktop in November. What distinguished it from the rest was the ability to upgrade -- pcie slots, empty drive bay, aboundant power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire/wizwor View Post
I think we need some more details before we can make good recommendations.

- Are we talking we're talking desktop or laptop?
- What is your budget?
- What size/weight, or for desktops do you need a monitor?
- Aside from Windows 7 (or 8) do you have any hardware must-haves?
- firewire port
- USB 3
- memory card reader
- latest wifi standard
- front-facing ports
- For a laptop
- target battery life
- screen size
- weight
- do you need an optical drive? blu-ray?
- For a Desktop
- size
- will you upgrade (if so, what)
- Apps
- what games will you play (specific is better)
- what programs will you run
- will you run background programs (playon, plex, etc.)
- will you watch movies
If you are not going to upgrade and have modest display requirements, I'd probably go with a laptop. A 17" screen on the right laptop is pretty close to a portable desktop these days. You will appreciate the built in 'battery backup' and portability without spending much more or losing much in the way of performance.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote