View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #64
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Now I am supposed to be ashamed because I started to read for the first time in my life Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. So far, I am not impressed...
If you don't like one of the Earthsea books, skip ahead to the next one. I myself think the first one was a bit slow. But I really liked Tehanu and The Other Wind, her recent additions to this set of books, and Tehanu wouldn't make nearly as much sense without having first read The Tombs of Atuan, while similarly, The Other Wind is really best read after The Farthest Shore. There is also a set of short stories that could be read at any time, and you might find that you enjoy the other books better if you read the short stories first.

A Wizard of Earthsea was probably considered such a great book partly because of the time in which it was published-- up to that point, most fantasy was still imitating Tolkein, and additionally, the year after A Wizard of Earthsea, Le Guin published The Left Hand of Darkness, which won both a Hugo and a Nebula.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote