View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #187
mickitaz
Connoisseur
mickitaz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
One thing I do love about the e-ink devices no one can tell what you're reading by the cover.
I would tend to agree with this characteristic. One would certainly have more privacy in the "type"of book they are reading. I just like the fact that I can stuff a 1500 page book in a slim device.

That being said, back to the "war" issue between Kindle and Sony, I think this can be somewhat compared to the Playstation 3 and the Wii wars. Only difference here is that :
1. Sony and Nintendo posted their sales numbers.
2. Sony and Nintendo actively marketed both items.

I honestly feel that Sony has not marketed the ebook reader. The only way I found out they had one is by doing research on different models. And to be completely honest, I wasn't even aware there was such a thing as an e reader till I went to place an order on Amazon; and Kindle was posted all over their website.

I personally prefer Sony's digital products, be it my dvd players, my mp3 player, or my portable dvd player. While features may or may not be present with the model Sony offers... the electronic components tend to be more reliable. I also agree... having a wireless network is the least of my concerns. I am home most of the time anyway, and simply plugging into my computer to download a couple of books is not that much of hinderance in my life.

Now a color reader... I agree... in the children's book genre, this would be beneficial. However, would I give an ereader to my neices and nephews, most definately NOT. Again, this is a feature which I don't feel is necessary.

I think memory, speed, and durability are the key concerns with the hardware. The product support in terms of book availabilty and other software items are just as equally important. My opinion is that if Sony wants to carve their corner of the ebook market, they should focus on these points.
mickitaz is offline   Reply With Quote