Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
mypolar
Enthusiast
mypolar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505 Yeah! Palm Tungesten E2
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkov View Post

If the reindexing is causing Kindle unstability it means that this is either poorly written software (I am a software engineer and University teacher of programming) or in some Kindles it is bad or broken NAND chips - making kernel panic or hardware error in heavy use. All is due to the reason to keep the price low (manufacturing price, not retail price). If they had put more RAM and put some fast SLC NAND for virtual memory or system partition - it will be ok, but will be more expensive. This is a general problem with all new embedded devices. In my practice I once had the embedded device (made by company I work as a consultant) that uses cheap MLC NAND but the firmware writes every 100ms or 1s the clock state and after an year a whole bunch of installed devices are blown and had to be replaced. Then we changed the firmware not to write such often to the NAND. Reindexing, keeping in mind that Kindles have too small amount of RAM and slow NAND, is heavy job for the Kindle's hardware.
I believe your right. It is sooooo frustrating for it to suddenly lose all my indexes out of the blue. No warning No crash just went to do a search and all books that were indexed weeks ago no longer are. I've used less than a 3rd of the memory. This is such a bummer. My aunt made me a big box of chocolate covered peanuts for Thanksgiving I'm so irritated by this Kindle I'm thinking of eating them ALL now with a big glass of milk! ;-) Then- see what new device Sony has to offer. My Sony 505 is over 2 years old and never had any issues like this Kindle. Just want a device with a search and highlight feature that will function well for at least a year! UGH!

Thank you everyone for your help- I'm off to chocolate land . ha ha. :-)
mypolar is offline   Reply With Quote