View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #575
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Was this meant to include all the adults in the world, or only those in a particular country, or what? It doesn't match up very well with my experience. I'd say 90% of the functional adults I know are taking care of themselves and their families, at least for the most part.

I'd agree that only 20% are carrying society... if that. Everyone else is dodging whatever they can. At least in the US.
This broadcast was aimed at the US. I have not conveyed the logical arguments of the broadcast since I don't remember it, just the conclusions. And based on the admittedly very small sample of people I knew at the time and my estimation of their abilities. Note; I include myself in that sample.

Look at the number of "street people". Are they taking care of themselves. If you're only talking basic survival, then yes, but otherwise the answer is no. Look at the number of people who are now having their home foreclosed on. Many, but certainly not all, are there due to being overextended in their personal debts. Can we honestly say they are able to take care of themselves. Is you artist/writer friend who has declared bankruptcy able to take care of himself. As Bob pointed out he could have had health insurance had he planned properly. (And I am not trying to offend you are your friend who may have planned well - I don't know.) But there are many people who are in financial trouble just because they were not able to plan properly for bad possibilities and probably many more who also have not planned well but have just been lucky.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote