View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trono View Post
I've seen some postings here at MR about broken screens, but can't remember any (or at least not many) complaints about broken V3s. Now - sadly - mine is not working anymore. At first I assumed that it was a physical breakage of the screen - due to the screens appearance (see attached picture of the screen), but considering it for a while I now believe it could be a fabrication weakness. I can't see that the handling of the unit could have damaged it, and - thinking back - there was quite a few indications that the unit was having some sort of screen related problems. The indications consisted of occurrences of flickering and unfocused display when turning on the device. This happened several times over the last few weeks, and indicates possibly that the breakage is caused by some sort of weakness in either the screen itself, or - rather - the underlying structure/hardware?

Anyway - the lack of physical impact causing the breakage and the signs of gradual deterioration, is in my opinion of great importance regarding who's responsible for the damage. Therefor, I have contacted Hanlin - asking for a repair or a replacement unit. As usual the people handling the support are quick to respond, but has not been able to give me the answer I'm hoping for (the responce of course beeing: "We will send you a replacement unit as soon as possible!!").

I'm not sure about the liability/warranty issues in a case like this, but I'd like to hear from other V3 owners - previous or present - who has encountered similar problems. Has anybody encountered this kind of damage to the V3? Is it fixable? And is it possible/realistic to hope for a replacement?

Trono
Hi

I am Hanlin user, too, starting with V8 for 4 years and now selling Hanlin V3 (due to my personal interest and confidence in E-ink technology). Well, I have never encountered before but I guess may due to some kind of "hairline" (technical terms in moulding industry) during manufacturing and apparently becomes more serious after using due to chemical reaction and heat transfer on the screen and finally - broken!
Anyway, there is advice from a site from Shanghai on how to protect e-ink as it is somekind of fragile display if not properly handled - that;s why leather cover is provided to protect screen from any strong impact.

Hong
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote