Thread: Sad Sigil news?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #58
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Well, I am, or used to be, fluent in C as well as several other languages, but I was never able to grok C++ for more than a couple of hours at a time, on a good day. It wasn't the language itself, I'm ashamed to say, but the Object Oriented paradigm itself that I didn't find intuitive, what with its constructors, destructors, overburdened operators... I don't know what all.

IIRC there's a very famous C++ comment that goes something like this:
Code:
// when I wrote this code, only God and I knew what I was doing.
//  now, only God knows.

Yeah, you knew where that was heading right from the first line, yes?

Kind of like bad Fortran or Basic spaghetti code. If you don't comment the hell out of it as you go along, three months later you'll never understand it. Even if you wrote it yourself. You needn't ask how I know this. ;-)

So, yeah, the chance of finding one or more C++ coders who can dive into a million and a half lines of code and do anything useful in terms of major revisions (epub3, anyone?) anytime soon would be miraculous. And it's already happened once.

Albert

Last edited by st_albert; 09-19-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: afterthought
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote