View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Hmmm. What format are you using? I had a similar experience with PDF files that I created using some shareware tool. It turned out that these PDF files were highly inefficient thus slowing down the slow CPU of the Reader. The same PDF files created through Latex or using Adobe Acrobat were fast from the first page to the last.
Lord no, I never use PDF. No, this was a book I bought through CONNECT (it has about 1000 pages in the print version).

Anyway, I finally got through to Sony support. They had me try several things, including a reset with power on, checking other books for speed (which I'd already done and they are fine), and going back to the beginning of this book.

Oddly enough, when going back to the start, it is the normal speed, and only when get back to around page 800 does it slow down. I then moved up to around page 1500, and it was even slower, taking 6-7 seconds. So, I can now see that I'll never get through the thing at this rate.

I then got the idea of connecting, deleting the book, and reinstalling from the Library. The guy waited while I did this, and got the exact same results. So, it seems obvious it is some glitch in the book itself. Anyhoo, he gave me the Connect support number and called them.

They took all the info and said they'd refer it to a techie who would try the book himself, but if he could not find some way to fix it, they'd give me a credit for it

Which is nice, but it is really an excellent book, so probably will have to go buy a pbook version to find out how it comes out.

Or, buy a Kindle.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote