Thread: Server CPU use
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
TypeC
TypeC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
First, dont run the server as root. It should be run as the user that has ownership of the library files.
I understand the reasons for running with as few permissions as possible. On Ubuntu though, Upstart is the recommended way of starting tasks with the system and (at least on my system) runs as root. It doesn't appear to have a non-hacky way of changing the user for a specific job, although I think later versions (later than the one on Ubuntu 14.04) have introduced a method to acheive this. Almost all the services on my server are running as root and almost all of the packages were downloaded and initialised using scripts from the Ubuntu official repo. It is a custom distro though (for my device) and may not have been built to normal standards.

Other than the fact it is a server (which can potentially interact with the outside world), do you have a specific reason for giving this warning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As for your extra CPU usage, normally, I'd be willing to help you track it down, but I am currently in the middle of rewriting the entire server, so the effort would be largely wasted as the new server has no code in common with the old one.
Under the circumstances, that's quite understandable and perfectly fine, of course. I'm very grateful to you for providing this wonderful software at all.
TypeC is offline   Reply With Quote