View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #147
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
what capabilities are missing? because you don't have access to the shell prompt out of the box? can you tell me that 90% of the buyers even care about that? how many of them use the command line in windows?
The big thing missing from the iPhone OS is a user accessible file system so I can just manage my files and folders just like I've been doing on PCs since my family got their first one in the early to mid 90s. And that doesn't require any software to drag and drop files on to.

I don't need a full OS, but I won't buy a tablet that doesn't have a traditional file system, nor one that doesn't show up as an external drive to drag and drop files onto with no software needed.

I now some like all the syncing and other new methods of file management etc. But not me. I'm a traditionalist and I'll stick with devices with traditional folder systems until I have absolutely no options to keep using devices with such systems.

But as you said, Apple didn't make this as a lite tablet PC--it's designed as a media consumption tablet and web browser, nothing more nothing less (well random apps too!).

So my problem is more just wanting a lite Tablet PC--don't need a full OS, but needs to be more than a consumption device as I need stylus mark up options etc. etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 06-09-2010 at 11:31 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote