View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #143
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But that's exactly the point. You can work around virtually anything, but you shouldn't have to, with other alternatives you don't have to.
ahem. you still have to "jailbreak" most android devices to get to a prompt. same for WebOS devices. expect the same for Windows 7 Mobile. and those manufacturers move pretty quickly to close those holes too.

Windows Mobile? The management committee who thought it would be a good idea to port windows down to a hand-held platform, including the "Start Menu" should be gathered up and disappear forever. I had a single WinMo phone and I swear navigating the menus caused brain damage, let's see, some scrolled using the joystick, some took letters for shortcuts, some took numbers. There was a reason so many manufacturers skinned the stock OS, because it was an abomination that should have never seen the light of day. I know several companies that tried to implement Windows Mobile in embedded systems and it was even more painful than the phone OS, if you can believe such a thing is possible. Even with Microsoft footing development costs most of those products fortunately never saw the light of day.

Trubu is right, Microsoft had no choice but to start over from scratch if they even wanted to be taken seriously in the Mobile market. Only a very small amount of the population wants to spend hours hacking and tweaking their phone's OS to make it usable to make as simple thing as a phone call.

Last edited by scottjl; 06-09-2010 at 07:38 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote