View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Yeah. And his reasons for that preference were just as spurious as the others we have heard in this discussion!
That was not his preference, that was his recommendation for an "easy-reader" text. I'm no accessibility expert, so I'll have to trust the guy who actually is one on that It also seems to be a quite widespread opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
The point, in reference to eBook construction, is that although you can code instructions to L-justify, some reading devices will ignore them, some users will be able to over-ride them. So don't fall TOO deeply in love with your preference :-) The same goes for margins, and paragraph spacing.
Personally I don't care either way. I touch up most of the books I buy, but I don't bother to set a particular justification even when I have them open in Sigil. In the epubs I produce I try to leave as much as possible unspecified, so that the user can apply his own preferences. I'm certainly against forcing anything down the user's throat. You have to make *some* decisions, for instance I don't apply paragraph spacing, but use text-indent instead (except for first paragraph). Generally I tend to save space when possible to maximise efficiency on smaller displays.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote