View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #123
ereadingdotcom
CEO, Ereading.com
ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ereadingdotcom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Umm, no. Amazon has a loss leader strategy (why the scare quotes?) which is traditionally both consumer friendly and sustainable. Giving away the first book in a 15 volume series in the hopes that consumers will like the book and buy the rest of the series is both consumer-friendly (a free book! No risk!) and sustainable.

Baen's plan (buy the latest hardback in the series and get the 14 preceding volumes in e-book format for free...or you can get them at 5th Imperium for free without buying the hardback) was *extremely* consumer friendly...but turned out to be non-sustainable once e-books became popular enough to actually cut into paper book sales.
Well, you're making my point for me. I agree with a loss-leader strategy. That is not the same as gutting a writer's core inventory for free in order to drive sales in a steadily-declining format. For a long time Baen gave away ebooks they shouldn't have because they felt that ebooks were a fad at best. Now they know better.

Never heard the term "scare quotes" before. They're not scary to me; I deal in the real world of this industry as both a consumer and a site-builder, and I understand very clearly the difference between what is marketed to consumers as a strategy and what is a power grab for market share. They can be both, but in the case of Amazon's massive gross losses, I'm seeing less strategy and more power-grab. If someone comes along and offers something better, Amazon will take a major hit.
ereadingdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote