View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
The thing is, this is not a particularly new device. The Kobo Reader is a Netronix EB600 with some modifications (i.e. Bluetooth). Kobo chose to make Firmware updates a Byzantine process involving their own proprietary desktop app. They chose to make the battery sealed in so that it cannot be removed (this would have been a great help in preserving the battery life of my device in its current semi-bricked state). They are chosing to go the rather odd route of sending software via snail-mail. They could just as easily post a binary and instructions with the option of a having mailed to you if you are not comfortable. I've owned many eReaders (Pocketbook, Sony, Kindle, Nook, Cybook) and none of them have had a firmware update process this odd. Sometimes the updated firmware didn't work properly or had bugs, but I had the option of downgrading to the previous version. I think, as time goes on, we should have less tolerance for mistakes and hold higher expectations. The ebook business is rapidly maturing now; we're not back in 2006. The only company that distributes firmware upgrades via a Desktop client is Sony. Do you know what the number one complaint about the Sony Readers (besides the touchscreen) is? The ultra-suckiness of the desktop software. Why one earth Kobo chooses to emulate Sony and not Amazon, B and N, or Pocketbook is beyond me.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote