View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
cadmus
cadmus is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
eink is outdated technology .....it has its fans no doubt
If it is out dated where is the replacement? I see no alternative that is equally kind to the health of the eyes and see no alternative that conserves battery life better. Please, if you know of a replacement tell me.

I hate LCD screens. They hurt my eyes. I spend all day reading on LCD screens or looking under microscopes. I am in pain. the eInk does not hurt my head. I realize color is nice and useful. especially for graphs. Heck, I have 9 colors of pens in my pocket, i am a fan of color and highlights. Even flashy pictures and videos of kittens on youtube that need realtime refresh rates. (that was a joke i know there are legitimate needs for video) But just to have something more photo-ergonomic like my sony t1 is worth having no color. Especilay when i have to read >400 pages of PDFs a day for work. I really would LOVE a eink tablet even if it did have a slow regeneration speed and had no color.

Also, the battery life on the eink is more useable. I realize some people can charge up every day but in the summer i am working in the field for weeks at a time and when i vacation i am away from electricity for months at a time. LCD screens can not do that. Especially the fire. If you have ever lived on a sailboat, a cabin, a tent or an RV you will find that LCDs suck energy fast. Especially in dark wet places like alaska where solar panels don't work well. A eink laptop or tablet would be great.

I find this to be the case with many products on the market, they assume you live a domesticated 3rd world life. Batteries for everything are short lived and are proprietary. I shoot Pentax because they are the only SLRs to still run on AA, which i can get in any shop in any country if need be. And the rechargeable AAs are just as good as the $80 proprietary canikon batteries. off point, but it adds to the fact that technology assumes we all live indoors on the grid and only vacation to places on the grid. And that, i feel is the primary reason of an ereader: travel. I can not take 74 taxonomic keys, 150 scientific journal articles, 20 maps, 5 bus schedules a spanish dictionary and some fun reading on a trip. But i can fit it on my t1 or a tablet. If i lived indoors i would use a book. So battery life is important and LCD screens have not come close to eInk. eInk is not outdated.

I want an eInk tablet!!!!!

Last edited by cadmus; 02-20-2012 at 02:59 PM.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote