View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #204
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh I think many certainly do plan prequels. Some may write them as after thoughts, but not all, by any means. Many prequels are meant to be read later (ask some authors). Often times there's secrets revealed in those prequels that can potentially spoil surprises and kill the suspense of the "true" first books in the series. There also may be knowledge in a prequel that will mean absolutely nothing to you without having read the rest of the series already.

So, I tend to think that prequels are a lot more than a Columbo type—"just one more thing"—scenario. In many cases, they are treated as complex flashbacks (that happen to be really long), yet wouldn't make sense outside the other books' future context.

Plus, I generally roll with the idea that you can't "unring the bell." If they wanted me to read it first... they should have written it first.
Good points, all.

I do see your point: "If they wanted me to read it first... they should have written it first."

Which leads me to think that writers who plan prequels may be putting their readership at risk. My understanding, is that prequels are often treated as bonus stories. I would think that any information that was a "have to have" would be included in the series proper.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote