View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Agree with all the above - except I am in the "Sony software's rubbish camp".

Oh, and I've just discovered Open Library (sorry , don't know how to make links) which claims 1,000,000 free books !
Including 61,200 ish on Philosophy, should you be interested,

But p'raps you can have too much of a good thing !
I should probably have made a distinction between the Sony's onboard firmware (which I think is fairly nicely organized), v.s. the PC side 'Sony Reader Library' (which is usable, but not all that well written).

I now use Calibre on my PC, so this isn't an issue for me though.

As, others have noted, even the firmware could use a few tweaks, like user selectable fonts, folder navigation as an alternative to navigation though a single main library listing, and the ability to disable touch screen page turns.

Some of these issues can be fixed by hacking the firmware with PRS+, but Sony should have stepped up and incorporated these features a long time back.

Winston Churchill once famously remarked, "democracy is the worst form of government -- except all the others that have been tried."

So if the O.P.'s point was that the Sony has it's faults, I would agree, and these would probably make it a terrible choice -- except that it's much better than all the others I have tried.

As to the point about 'too much of a good thing' --- in a single afternoon and evening, I was able to find and download about 1500 titles from feedbooks public domain sections, including all the wonderful classics by Dickens, Carroll, Verne, Wells, and hundreds of others.

This, and the hundreds of contemporary books I have on my 'Overdrive' waiting list at my local library, do create a bit of an overload situation - but a nice one.

Kind of like the feeling I had as a young child the first time I walked into a public library, and was told that I could have my pick from ALL OF THESE BOOKS.

Last edited by delphin; 07-10-2011 at 10:27 PM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote