Thread: E-book prices
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcanusPublishing View Post
Historically the price of an e-book has been far lower than the equivalent printed version. Some would say rightly so, but the quality and competition has increased dramatically, the expectations of readers who are purchasing e-books are increasing.
While many readers would be happy to pay more for higher-quality ebooks, the fact is we can't--there is no way to know "this book has a plausible and interesting story, which was edited, proofred, and well-formatted as an ebook" before purchase.

Small/indie publishers don't talk about their editing skills. Mainstream publishers, who are better at it (or maybe they just refuse submissions that need extensive editing, except for late in a popular series), don't talk about their proofing and formatting. Buyers have no way of knowing the quality of a book before purchase--so there's no reason to spend more.

Quote:
Does the price have the greatest impact on why you decide to buy an e-book or is it the overall specifics of a book ie the cover, the blurb, the reviews? Would you view an e-book with a low book price as being of low quality?
I have a strict $6 cap for fiction ebooks. (When inflation pushes Baen's prices up, I'll reconsider that.) Within that range ($0-6), I have discovered quality is entirely random; other than knowing an author or, sometimes, having developed trust in a publisher, I can't tell whether the story will be "good enough."

I haven't decided on a specific cap for short stories, but one of my reasons for avoiding DRM is that I can't tell if a $5 book is 80,000 words or 8,000. Sites that use DRM don't list word counts; they list filesize, as if that were an indicator of how much "book" is involved.

I try to ignore the cover, other than noting that if it's got a cover designed for print that doesn't reduce well, I'm probably not the target audience for the book. (I don't read novels in print anymore.) Since, unlike a paper book, I probably won't ever see the cover after I start reading, I don't care what it looks like; it's just an indication of how much resources the publisher is putting towards marketing. That said, a *good* cover can get me to click on the book's info page, and I'm much more likely to buy it.

Typos or grammar mistakes in the blurb = Do Not Buy. If the publisher can't be bothered to make a one-paragraph advertisement read smoothly, I don't trust their editorial process. If they can't write an intriguing blurb--which, admittedly, has nothing to do with story quality--I can't tell whether the book would appeal to me. I'll buy books by authors I know and like without reading the blurb; when I'm browsing, the blurb is competing with thousands of other possible purchases--including some by authors I know and like.

Having been burned by a couple of bad choices, I'm unwilling to waste money and reading time on books that haven't fully caught my interest. My "give it a try, maybe I'll like it" approach is limited to freebies--and not too many of those. I have plenty to read; authors and publishers who want money from me will need to find a way to convince me I will enjoy reading their works more than my existing TBR list.

Darren
Ecanus Publishing[/QUOTE]
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote