View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I saw this issue during the beta test of 0.7. I very much appreciate the work that our testers put in, but even with that work, we missed some important problems. A big one was the performance problems caused by misunderstanding Sony dates. Another was a problem that required 2 configuration options to be chosen and a regexp to be set in a certain way. The problems were pointed out very quickly once 0.7.0 was released. Unfortunately, by finding the problems after the release we also get annoyed users who lose information and time, we lose points on the hard-won reputation scale, and fixing becomes a bit of a fire drill.

I understand why people don't want to test software. After all, it breaks. But if released without testing then it breaks anyway, and in a far more intrusive way. In addition, and perhaps more important, people have good ideas. It would be nice to hear more of them before we release and get into the 'you changed something I really like' cycle.

To close, thanks again to all of you who test, who take the time to share and explain ideas, and who persevere to help find problems that we could not find without you. Your efforts help everyone who uses calibre.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote