View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #39
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My post was in no way intended as a criticism - I hope it didn't come across as such.
No problem. And I do think it is an interesting question anyway!

I can certainly see why some feel the basic black Kindle is just a variant of Kindle "4" and thus something more accurately labelled as Kindle 4B. That is a very valid argument.

Just to ponder this a little further. I'm not so sure about the firmware version number angle, though...

To me, calling Kindle Touch as Kindle 5 does make very little sense. It is, after all, Kindle Touch - why call it by any other name. PW also runs 5 firmware, why isn't it called the Kindle 5 too? Is PW2 also Kindle 5?

Calling the black $69 Kindle the Kindle 5 has a generational logic behind it, the product name is "Kindle" and it was announced in the fifth-generation with notable changes compared to the previous generation - it is the fifth product named Kindle, hence Kindle 5. Kindle Touch is the first product named Kindle Touch, so it is Kindle Touch or Kindle Touch 1 if a successor ever arrives by the same name. Just like calling the new PW the Kindle Paperwhite 2 makes sense because it is the second product called Kindle Paperwhite.

To me the PW1/PW2 examples seem to indicate that the firmware numbering logic simply wasn't reflective of the way Amazon thought of their products and thus, maybe it could be changed. At least in hindsight it seems like calling Kindle Touch the Kindle 5 would be the most confusing road to take.

This probably has been discussed to death here by the locals and I respect the fact that I'm an outsider ignorant of past debates. Apologies for that.
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote