View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I thought it was a bunch of html and css and image and stuff resources wrapped in a binary database wrapper instead of an open ZIP implementation.

So I still don't get what difference you are trying to make. What does it matter how it's unwrapped? And yasher koach that AZW3 doesn't use filenames. That changes what exactly?
My point was that the markup itself in an azw3 needs to be massaged first (and relieved of its proprietary content) and file names added/created and links rebuilt before editing with calibre's editor. And then the reverse when it's recompiled. That markup massage doesn't happen when THE VERY SAME EDITOR opens an epub file for editing. It's not the same process. That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
By all means, pedant away (always fun ) -- but lets be equally pedantic on both sides lest we inadvertently cause far more confusion.
Both sides of what, exactly? As I said I'm not choosing any "sides". Nor do I think I'm causing more confusion. The fact of the matter is: editing an azw3 is less "direct" than editing an epub (with the very same editor). It involves an extra step where the markup is altered rather than just extracted/opened. That that extra step is necessary is entirely the fault of the format itself.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-11-2014 at 10:41 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote